Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Alexander Maclennan

Thistle

Hello.   I'm looking for any info on my Grandfather.   John Alexander Maclennan.   He was in I think Rosshire mountain battery.  Any tips on finding anything would be much appreciated.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Thistle said:

Hello.   I'm looking for any info on my Grandfather.   John Alexander Maclennan.   He was in I think Rosshire mountain battery.  Any tips on finding anything would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Do you have any other family history that might help, such as his parent's names?

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure you'll have heard the term "Name, Rank, Serial Number".

Any information you can provide will allow everyone to help you.

Birth date and place? Did he survive? Where did he serve other than 'Rosshire Mountain Battery'? etc.

Hope you get the idea, and the more information you can provide, the more help and responses you will receive.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. (Warning: this stuff is addictive).

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

And also consult 'the long long trail' linked above for advice on your research.

Simon

4 hours ago, Thistle said:

Presumably the man of the same name who had service number 301475 and who did serve in the Ross Battery. 

You'll find some service history and medal card/rolls for him on both findmypast.com and ancestry.com websites. 

Based on his specific address, he appears to have had brothers called George and Duncan who also served in the army during WW1.

You'll find 'MacLennan' and 'McLennan' used for him and/or his brothers. 

On 06/06/2020 at 08:36, Ron Abbott said:

Presumably the man of the same name who had service number 301475 and who did serve in the Ross Battery. 

You'll find some service history and medal card/rolls for him on both findmypast.com and ancestry.com websites. 

Based on his specific address, he appears to have had brothers called George and Duncan who also served in the army during WW1.

You'll find 'MacLennan' and 'McLennan' used for him and/or his brothers. 

That is him. Thank you

19 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure you'll have heard the term "Name, Rank, Serial Number".

Any information you can provide will allow everyone to help you.

Birth date and place? Did he survive? Where did he serve other than 'Rosshire Mountain Battery'? etc.

Hope you get the idea, and the more information you can provide, the more help and responses you will receive.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. (Warning: this stuff is addictive).

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Yes he did survive the war. He died before I was born though and was just interested to find out more about him.