Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying unknown badge (WWI era but not WWI)

Graham Topham

Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum, or does not belong in the forum at all. 

I found the below badge in my grandparents house after the died. Presumably it belonged to one of their fathers. Whilst not strictly a WWI badge it appears to have been issued in 1913/14. As this forum contains so many knowledgeable and helpful members, I wondered whether anyone could shed any light as to what it might be. 4BEBE99D-EBB9-453F-A446-5E5F11459C5E.jpeg.4baeb2d2584fea2cd747eee88931fe8f.jpeg32F50988-88D0-412A-A360-EA58E4A3F5E6.jpeg.cca7a8a53da807cfd05aa967b7f2a089.jpeg

It means a Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body and in the military context was used by physical training instructors of the British Army’s ‘Corps of Gymnasium Staff’ (later Army Physical Training Staff/Corps), the Royal Marines and associated equivalents in the Canadian and the New Zealand Forces.  Is there a family connection with any of these?

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

It means a Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body and in the military context was used by physical training instructors of the Royal Marines and Canadian and New Zealand Forces.  Is there any connection with these latter countries?

My nan’s father was in the Royal Marines so perhaps it was his! He was 16 in 1914 (and I believe he went to a school associated with the Royal Marines as a boy) so would this be a badge for taking part in some sort of sporting event? He did not officially attest with the RMLI until 06/1915.

21 minutes ago, Graham Topham said:

My nan’s father was in the Royal Marines so perhaps it was his! He was 16 in 1914 (and I believe he went to a school associated with the Royal Marines as a boy) so would this be a badge for taking part in some sort of sporting event? He did not officially attest with the RMLI until 06/1915.

That seems very likely to me, yes.  It became common to award medallions and cups, etc. for all kinds of physical and sporting activity.  These were usually made commercially and purchased by the various training schools and gymnasiums using funds raised from a variety of sources.  Royal Navy Fleets also had regular inter-ship, or inter-squadron competitions.  Notice that the makers were linked with the Admiralty, which chimes with the Royal Marines connection.

The word ARCANA seems a big clue to me and might relate to one of the naval bases, perhaps Malta or Gibraltar.  

TTFL - The FL might well relate to Football League.

Apparently “ARCANA” means secret, or mystery.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Apparently my great grandmother went to a Royal Marine school in Deal and would have been 14 in 1914. Apparently she was a good runner so it could be hers! Thank you so Much for your help. 

37 minutes ago, Graham Topham said:

Apparently my great grandmother went to a Royal Marine school in Deal and would have been 14 in 1914. Apparently she was a good runner so it could be hers! Thank you so Much for your help. 

The medallion is in the specific form of a pocket 'watch fob', as used by men and boys at that time, so I doubt it was your grandmothers.  It's a pity that we can't identify the 'ARCANA' aspect as that is a big clue.  On balance the TTFL inscription seems most likely to be in connection with a football league.

Edited by FROGSMILE

These reports from the Tower Hamlets Independent and East End Local Advertiser from October and November 1912 

(Courtesy of BNA) might give a clue, Unfortunately this publication has no records at the BNA after 1912. At this time Arcana were playing in the Manor Park and District League. There were many half holiday leagues around at that time so the TFL part might mean Thursday Football League. They certainly went to the top for their trophies Fattorini and Sons designed and made the FA and Rugby League Challenge Cups still in use today.

Arcana Match.png

Arcana Match 1.png

I used Fattorinis in the 80's/90's and as far as I know are still going. I hasten to add I wasn't ordering national level sports trophies.

Simon

Fattorinis are still going they have factories in Birmingham and Urmston (the place of my birth)

I also prefer Staffordshire.

Simon

2 hours ago, ajsmith said:

These reports from the Tower Hamlets Independent and East End Local Advertiser from October and November 1912 

(Courtesy of BNA) might give a clue, Unfortunately this publication has no records at the BNA after 1912. At this time Arcana were playing in the Manor Park and District League. There were many half holiday leagues around at that time so the TFL part might mean Thursday Football League. They certainly went to the top for their trophies Fattorini and Sons designed and made the FA and Rugby League Challenge Cups still in use today.

Brilliant detective work, I think you’ve cracked it.

Thanks so much! So the badge is for a football team in London, rather than for the Royal Marines as guesses above? 

Ok so I had a great grandad Topham who lived in West Ham in 1911 and I have heard stories of him playing football.

I also had a great grandad Ware who lived in Mile End in 1911. He was the one who joined the Royal Marines. 

So of these two which would most likely have played for Arcana, do you think? 

And would the badge have been awarded for winning the league that year, or more for participation? 

12 hours ago, ajsmith said:

TFL part might mean Thursday Football League.

...and TTFL, Tuesday & Thursday Football League?

1 hour ago, Graham Topham said:

Ok so I had a great grandad Topham who lived in West Ham in 1911 and I have heard stories of him playing football.

I also had a great grandad Ware who lived in Mile End in 1911. He was the one who joined the Royal Marines.

These half holiday leagues were mainly aimed at shop workers who had to work all day Saturday, did either of your men have jobs like that? 

52 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

These half holiday leagues were mainly aimed at shop workers who had to work all day Saturday, 

As in Sheffield Wednesday FC.

1 hour ago, ajsmith said:

These half holiday leagues were mainly aimed at shop workers who had to work all day Saturday, did either of your men have jobs like that? 

Ware was born in 1898 so would have been 16. I am not sure at what point he left London for Deal.

Topham was born in 1893 and worked in a factory until WWI. So he would have been in London, 20ish and in a labour intensive job. So more likely him? As above, does this look like a participation badge or a badge for,say, winning the league?

46 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

As in Sheffield Wednesday FC.

Indeed.

Or Wednesday FC as they were officially known in the olden days.

There was also Thursday Wanderers, a part of Sheffield FC, the world's First football club.

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Or Wednesday FC as they were officially known in the olden days.

There was also Thursday Wanderers, a part of Sheffield FC, the world's First football club.

and who could forget Abergavenny Thursdays now defunct.

Is it my imagination or does the badge appear to have Cannabis leaves on it? :o

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is it my imagination or does the badge appear to have Cannabis leaves on it?

Still legal in 1914 so you never know!!

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is it my imagination or does the badge appear to have Cannabis leaves on it? :o

Hmmm ... would smoking dope fit with the motto?

2 hours ago, ajsmith said:

and who could forget Abergavenny Thursdays 

Me ... me miss ... me. I forgot them.

Though I did have a splendid Thursday night on Porthcawl once.

25 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Hmmm ... would smoking dope fit with the motto?

Apparently handy if your corns are playing up West Sussex Gazette - Thursday 12 September 1912

Carat_and_Warts_Sad_Swam_All_An_Build_Death_The_Churchyard_Wall_Upon_Their_Tombstones_Will_Be_Wen_Dyed_Through_West_Sussex_Gazette_Thursday_12_September_1912_British_Newspaper_Archive.png