Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Checking my translation of an RAF officer's record

bmbab

I have recently found an army officer who transferred in 1918 into the RAF. I have a copy of his service sheet from AIR76 in the National Archives and I am trying to understand his various postings. I wonder if anyone with expertise in RAF abbreviations could check my 'translations'. The bits in bold I am less certain about.

Entered RAF 31/8/18

1SoA 31.8.18 Obs fm E.F   [No 1 School of Aeronautics? 31.8.18 Observer from Expeditionary Force?]

From 1SoA to 1S of AG 12.10.18 [From No 1 School of Aeronautics to No 1 School of Air Gunnery]

1(D) S of AG ??

From 1S of AG to 1S NBD 9.12.18 From No 1 School of Air Gunnery to No 1 School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping]

3.3.17 Cease flying

Not clear what the rest says, but I think this man did not complete training and returned to the York & Lancs Regiment from where had had come.

Any thought please?

Alan

extract.jpg

Agreed, I read that as:

"Flying ceased 3.3.19 and losing unit next line down is 1S of NBD to 3rd Bttn Yorks & Lancs Regt 31.3.19

1 (O) S of AG = 1 (Observers) School of Aerial Gunnery.

This was 1 (Auxiliary) School of Aerial Gunnery that had been renamed on 9 Mar 18. In the record the '(Observers)' part has not always been recorded.

Errol

Edited by Errol Martyn

Many thanks. Further research has shown that one of these schools was at the University of Reading and another appears to have been at Stonehenge aerodrome. Amazingly this seems to have been right next to stonehenge itself!

Thanks to everyone who helped

Alan