Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

stevew

Anybody have any idea on this uniform, quality not that good so can't zoom in on the badge.  I was sent this to try and identify the unit

harry bailey in uniform.jpg

This query is in the wrong subsection - there is a separate subforum specifically for uniform and badge questions. I am not one of the experts in the field (there are several on here) but I wonder if he is a mounted man of the Royal Engineers. A mounted man in any case.

Mounted duty I agree.  Yeomanry was my first thought because of the relatively unusually shaped badge and there’s also no obvious crown at the top, but I can’t find any badge that matches.  There is a curved shoulder title of several letters, which rules out regular cavalry.  Reflection off the cap badge is misleading, as it’s not as solid as it looks and I can see some voiding.  The closest, outline shape that I can think of, is the Northamptonshire Regiment, but that is a best guess and from a limited view via a phone screen.  If that’s correct then he’d be from a battalion transport section.

D4D4A6AF-CCB5-4D72-A5FB-3FDA01391121.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

It's a very big badge, and he seems to have curved shoulder titles.

Would South Lancs be feasible?

34 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

It's a very big badge, and he seems to have curved shoulder titles.

Would South Lancs be feasible?

I did consider that one Steven, as it is similarly without crown at top, but it is noticeably much more oval in shape than in the photo, so I ruled it out.

8B30F9CD-AC6C-4EB7-B6BA-A3DCB71633A8.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks for the suggestions, what I know about the photo.  It is one Harry Bailey who appears on the 1911 census aged 12.  He is on our local war memorial under those who served, but no other details are known other than he died in 1965.  I have had a quick look on Ancestry for Harry Bailey under the Northants Regt.  Nothing stands out.  It is possible being 12 in 1911 he didn't serve overseas

23 minutes ago, stevew said:

Many thanks for the suggestions, what I know about the photo.  It is one Harry Bailey who appears on the 1911 census aged 12.  He is on our local war memorial under those who served, but no other details are known other than he died in 1965.  I have had a quick look on Ancestry for Harry Bailey under the Northants Regt.  Nothing stands out.  It is possible being 12 in 1911 he didn't serve overseas

If you can post his name, home town (presumably related to the war memorial) and census details in the “Soldiers and their Units” section of the forum there are some superb genealogical detectives who will very likely be able to identify him.  They rarely fail to do so.  Cap badges can be more difficult as an identifier, as some men served in several regiments during the course of the war and generally just two of the units would be shown on a medal index card, the one he first served in a theatre of war with, and the one that processed his details for their issue at the end of his service.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, stevew said:

It is possible being 12 in 1911 he didn't serve overseas

As he would have been 19 in 1918 (if my maths is functioning), it's very possible he did.

21 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

As he would have been 19 in 1918 (if my maths is functioning), it's very possible he did.

I agree.  Looking at the photo and his appearance, I suspect that he was among the droves (literally) of 19-year olds that reinforced France & Flanders in 1918-19.

I think the cap badge is that of the Hampshire Regiment. The cut-ins on each side at the bottom match those on the Hants badge as does the shape around the top.  Pete.

19 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think the cap badge is that of the Hampshire Regiment. The cut-ins on each side at the bottom match those on the Hants badge as does the shape around the top.  Pete.

You might well be right Pete.  I did actually consider the Hampshire Regiment but didn’t think it was quite a big enough badge in comparison.  Looking again now I’m changing my mind because the shorter shoulder title also seems to match better with the appearance of the man’s shoulder when compared with the Northants, which was a longer title.  Good spot!

18415F95-645E-4B26-9020-C17F1B5304F1.jpeg

151318CC-67D0-457B-A0AE-D76E67D4BB9E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The shoulder title is a Territorial title, there is something above the curved title, T normally, it also seems quite high up, T then a Battalion number, or T Y? or am I just seeing things?j

Chris 

Edited by Dragoon

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

The shoulder title is a Territorial title, there is something above the curved title, T normally, it also seems quite high up, T then a Battalion number, or T Y? or am I just seeing things?

Chris 

It might well be a T and a number Chris, he has the look of a Territorial to my eyes, although their usage had generally petered out by 1918.  Perhaps it was a Hampshire’s TF Battalion though.  I don’t think it’s a Y, I couldn’t find a Yeomanry badge even remotely like it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Tanks for the brilliant replies.  I like the Hampshire answer.  Harry comes from just outside of Salisbury, so territorial sounds good too

3 hours ago, stevew said:

Tanks for the brilliant replies.  I like the Hampshire answer.  Harry comes from just outside of Salisbury, so territorial sounds good too

Yes that makes sense, the Tidworth County  border wasn't far away.