Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Halbert

James Brown

I am trying to find out some information on Pte. John Halbert. 43898 165th Co. Machine Gun Corps.

Well more on his unit action at his time of his passing.

What I already have are CWGC, SDCD details. I know that he had a brother Charles Halbert who was KIA Gallipoli, while serving with the Ayrshire Yeomanry.

At first I was confused with the numbering ie. 165th Co. MGC. Thinking that there may have been an error with the unit number. The 156th Co. was attached to the 52nd Lowland Brigade. I know that he was formerly 8279 Royal Scots Fusiliers. This made me think that being ex RSF, after training with the MGC, he would have went back to his Regiment with a MG Co.

I am now convinced that he did serve with the 55th (West Lancs) Division as the details fit into place.

Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the missing, shows that he must have been with the 55th Division as the 52nd Lowland was still in Palestine at the time.

Can anyone of the Pals help me with what happened around that time.

Thanks to all in advance

Guest Ian Bowbrick

James,

Phil (Staffsyeoman) is the man you need to speak to - he is currently writing a History of the MGC at the moment.

Ian

:)

Thanks Ian.

I shall look out for im.

James

Hi Ian

Pauls correct Saturday, 22nd September 1917.

James

Thanks Paul

Regards

James

156 Coy: Formed in Egypt, 16 Mar 16, 156 Bde of 52nd Lowland Division. Served in Egypt, Palestine and F&F.

165 Coy: Formed in France, 26 Feb 16 165 Bde of 55 Division. Only served in France.

Unlikely that he returned to the RSF; the MGC on formation took the Vickers companies of infantry battalions as trained machine gunners; it was 'phased' as the infantry units took up Lewis gunners and guns (on a wider scale) as replacements. MG companies - as in Vickers companies - disappeared from the battalions on formation of the MGC.

Paul will undoubtedly send details; sounds like Battle of the Menin Road, 20-25 Sep 17, 3rd Ypres.

Will check if we've scoured their war diary yet.

Thanks Staffsyeoman,

That date ties in.

Being from the MGC Infantry dont know too much about them. Makes it more difficult for the likes of an ameteur like myself.

Pte. John Halbert enlisted in January 1915, and was previously a miner in Sundrum Colliery, in the grounds of Sundrum Castle near his birthplace and home of Coylton. He was 22 years of age when he died, the same age his brother Charles was, when he was Killed in Action in the Eglinton Horseshoe sector of Gallipoli, on the 23rd December 1915. (Although on the CWGC it states Charles was 21).

In a letter from the CO to John's mother it states that by way of "any consolation" he was in the "thick of the fight at the time" It also states that he had only just joined their section. Knowing that he has 15 months service, this makes me believe that he had just joined the 55th Div. after training MGC. Correct me if i'm wrong.

There was also a letter from his Sergeant to his mother and father and it is signed on behalf of all the Company. It reads that he died from "shellfire while attacking", and would "never be forgotten".

Apologies. I sometimes do go on. Bit of a stickler for Facts though.

The Menin Road mmm.......

Thanks to all

James

Hello James.

I would say it is the Battle of Menin Road ridge,which ran from the 20th-25th of September and was followed by the battle of Polygon Wood.

A couple of books that may be of help,James,are Chris Mcarthy's Day by Day account of 3rd Ypres,excellent stuff and even contains the weather and temperature's for the days of the battle and plenty of maps.

The other book that i found helpfull,as well,was Nigel Steel and Peter Harts book "Passchendaele,The Sacrificial Ground,which has some references to the 55th Div.

As far as i know,both are available,either at your local library or bookshop.

My great-grandad's MG company was with the 58th Division,during Menin Road ridge,and his company guns,all 16,were involved in Barrage work just outside of St Julien,firing in support of the attack and into the rear areas of the German lines.

I am not sure,it has been a while since i looked at this,but i think that the 55th Div were to the left of his division,the divisional boundry line,being near to where the Canadian memorial is now,at Vancouver corner.

Good luck with your research.

All the best.

Simon Furnell

Thanks Simon

I will have a look down the Libraray this Friday when ive got some time off work.

Its good when the pals in this forum help build up an overall picture of events when posting a querry like this.

Great stuff

Regards

James

• 1 month later...

Hi

My grandfather Robert Jagger was also RSF and transfered to the MGC his number was 99006 and I am sure was in the 165th Coy. He was gassed twice - the last somewhere near Ypres ( his diary states he was at some unknown farm and not enjoying it! ). I have a reasonable amount on his service. At the end of the war he was sent to Alnwick prior to being sent back to France (not sent) I have a rolled up very long photo of a company there but its brittle and probably would not like being flattened out.

My grandfather lived in Greenock before and after.

best of luck

Fred

• 11 years later...

Hello James Brown,

I came across your post when researching Pte John Halbert and his brother Charles Halbert. These two men were uncles of my mother Annie Lethardy Halbert, who was born to Mary Love Halbert, sister to John and Charles. You seem to have a lot of information regarding John and Charles, and I'm interested to know more about them, as well as your relationship to the family. Hope to hear from you.

Regards

Brenda

• 2 years later...
  • Admin

Dear Frederic,

I have removed your email address as this is a public forum, but you can send a private message by clicking on the name of the person you want to contact. But please bear in mind this is a very old thread and they may have changed their email details.

Michelle