Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

alf mcm

WAAC/QMAAC Home Addressess - Where found?

alf mcm

Last year, or earlier this year, I read about one of the military records websites, not Ancestry or Findmypast, that one of their researchers had found a list somewhere {perhaps at T.N.A.} detailing WAAC/QMAAC members names and home addresses. I am now trying to find out names of women from Linlithgowshire who joined WAAC/QMAAC. The problem is, I can't remember which website I was looking at!

Can anyone help me find the records website?

Regards,

Alf McM

Airshipped

I don't think it's ForcesWarRecords or anything like that.

As you've already noted, TNA include the birthplace on most of the WO 398 series, e.g. just 8 in a search return:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=wo+398+Linlithgow&_sd=&_ed=&_hb= 

However, some sites such as FMP have some additional data set available. For example they list 16 names specifically if searching for 'Linlithgowshire' but there's nothing in the original data sets to suggest how they obtained that information, so it must have come via some other metadata set? e.g. some records are based on TNA transcript returns, others on the actual set of file images. It's therefore a list of some description which not only includes address on enlistment but also the next of kin address or the birthplace details.

Annie Baillie

Margaret Lapsley Blaney

Jessie Dudgeon Newlands Borthwick

Elizabeth Stewart Jollie

Mary Kessack

1917-20

Margaret Marshall Macneil

Mary McCallum

Christina Wilson Meek

Mary Miller

Grace Murray

Bridget  O'Donnell

Elizabeth Learmouth Queenan

Mary Ramsay

Mary Mckinlay Dykes

Ross

1917-20

Edith Warrell Shedden

Janet Wyper Wilson

alf mcm

Airshipped,

Thanks for your reply. The references to Linlithgowshire appear to have been taken from a reading of the records of the women mentioned above. I know of these records, but not all WAAC records have survived. It is likely therefore that there are women from Linlithgowshire whose records have not survived but whose address is recorded on the list which I read about.

The search goes on.

Regards,

Alf McM