Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAAC - QMAAC Enlistment Procedure etc.

MERLINV12

Could someone point me in the direction of where to find some detailed info on WAAC/QMAAC enlistment/enrolment procedure ?

e.g. were they recruited locally as per men ?

Also does service number correlate to date ?

Trying to find any info on my Great Aunt (details below), all I could find was her MIC card, apparently no Service Record. Existing family knew nothing about her serving during the GW !

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

TIA,

Edited by MERLINV12

It looks as though your Great Aunt's service records have not survived. This medal roll shows she served in France from 23/03/1918 until 24/01/1919. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_625537_9935-00035?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=a284328190b2d4e646cec0b64afcd563&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY40588&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=2599500&backurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3F_phsrc%3DbmY40588%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D5119%26gsln%3Dsherwood%26gsfn_x%3D1%26gsln_x%3D1%26cp%3D11%26_F4E2F07A%3D29682%26_F4E2F07A_x%3D1%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26uidh%3D9y4%26redir%3Dfalse%26gss%3Dangs-d%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D2599500%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D1%26queryId%3Da284328190b2d4e646cec0b64afcd563

WAAC/QMAAC service records are available from The National Archives, and some of these are on Findmypast. The TNA records are free at present. You may want to download records of a couple of women with numbers either side of 29682, based on the medal roll. This may give you an idea of when she joined, as opposed to when she served abroad. Women had to apply to join the WAAC/QMAAC, and provide references.

I can recommend this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-Samantha-Philo-Gill/s?rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3ASamantha+Philo-Gill

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

I can only concur… Philo-gill's book is a fantastic place to start.

M.

Alf & Marilyne

THANKS for the links and advice :thumbsup:

Book: Currently out of stock :(

Edited by MERLINV12

if you need an urgent reference, just holler: I have it here ... if you have a particular question you want me to check for you... 

Edited by Marilyne

On 04/06/2020 at 18:39, MERLINV12 said:

Book: Currently out of stock

The Kindle version is available instantly you don't need a reader just the app for whatever Operating System you're using.

54 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

if you need an urgent reference, just holler: I have it here ... if you have a particular question you want me to check for you... 

THANKS.

49 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

The Kindle version is available instantly you don't need a reader just the app for whatever Operating System you're using.

THANKS, will look into that.

Edited by MERLINV12

On 04/06/2020 at 15:19, alf mcm said:

This medal roll shows she served in France from 23/03/1918 until 24/01/1919. 

You may want to download records of a couple of women with numbers either side of 29682, based on the medal roll. This may give you an idea of when she joined, as opposed to when she served abroad. 

Alf,

I have checked 40 service records either side of her number, none exist, so looks like her joining date will stay a mystery.

Am I correct in thinking some records were destroyed, as per men's ones, and then further reduced in number by only keeping a representative batch ?

Edited by MERLINV12

Not all service records have survived. The ones which have not survived seem to be in batches of consecutive numbers, as you have discovered. The National Archives appear to have all the service records which have survive, and W.A.A.C. medal cards. Findmypast has some of the service records already at T.N.A.

It is likely that Gertrude arrrived at Abbeville on 24/03/1918 as part of a draft of 2 Assistant Administrators and 44 W.A.A.C. personell.

These comprised;-

1 Forewoman Storekeeper

1 Forewoman Waitress

10 Worker Cooks

10 Worker Clerks

1 Storewoman

4 Worker Storekeepers

1 Worker Motor Mechanic

2 Worker Motor Drivers

5 Worker General Domestics

4 Worker Shorthand Typists

2 Worker Messengers

1 Worker Orderley

2 Worker Waitresses

1 Worker Housemaid

Source;- WO-95-84-8, page 35. {War Diary W.A.A.C. Area Controller, Abbeville}.

Regards,

Alf McM

13 hours ago, ajsmith said:

I now have the Kindle version, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, alf mcm said:

It is likely that Gertrude arrrived at Abbeville on 24/03/1918 as part of a draft of 2 Assistant Administrators and 44 W.A.A.C. personell.

Alf,

Thanks for your effort, most informative, now have the book on Kindle, so hope to learn some more.

Do you, or anyone know if WAAC's got leave from France, she was there for 8 months, if leave was like the men's then probably not, (Grandfather had 7 days in nearly 3 years).

Many Thanks,

Michael.

Michael,

Some Workers did get leave, but not many. Probably just those with long service or for family or medical reasons.

Regards,

Alf McM