Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dragoon Guards information request

June Burke

I've been following this topic with interest, and admiration for the work of Forum pals. JB, I can wholeheartedly recommend you apply for the service records as - however much they may or may not have been weeded over the years - they will answer most of your basic questions, I think. Once they arrive, you could post scans on here if there are things incomprehensible and/or illegible in them: they tend to be... well... a bit of both! Best of luck.

Cheers, Pat

On 03/06/2020 at 16:31, June Burke said:

Hi Roughdiamond or Sam. Thanks for this information. His Victory medal has just come to light within the family which has the number 9023 & his marriage register entry for November 1914 gives his address as 239 Main Street ,but for the 5th Dragoon Guards so the first entry is the one relating to my grandfather.How interesting it all is. 

Now that I have verified his number I will definitely request his service records.

Coincidently my grandfather Michael Burns ended up living at 6 Jackson Street some years later on, this was the address my mother was born at. I think the other Michael Burns may have been an uncle? Further investigations required.

Would it be worth trying to get a copy of this book - does it give any other information on individuals?

Many thanks again, this is all really helpful.

It's Sam, Roughdiamond is just a user name.

You won't be able to get a copy of the book, the info was collated/printed in 1919/20 so are as rare as Hens teeth, my copy is a digital one. Even if you did get a copy, the info I gave you is everything on both men. Extra info such as place of work prior to enlistment and a photo are almost exclusively only for those who Died.

In addition, for many entries, like the local War Memorial, the entries list the men by the unit they joined, not the one they served with, so my Gt Uncle is listed as 3rd Bn Connaught Rangers, but served and was KIA with the 5th Bn.

1911 Census records may confirm who the other Michael Burns was.