Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dragoon Guards information request

June Burke

Hoping someone can suggest how to verify possible information about my Scottish grandfather, Michael Burns. Been using SP & Ancestry, and this is what I've know so far.

Michael Burns, DOB 19/3/1894, Blantyre, Scotland. Married 17/12/1914, Coatbridge, marriage record shows occupation as tube work labourer (Private 5th (service) Dragoon Guards). I presume he got married just after enlisting and before heading off to war.

Ancestry has found a Michael Burns in WW1 Service Medal & Award Rolls but how can I be sure this is my grandfather? It gives a regiment number D/13587. The only other information I personally have about him is a photo of him in uniform, and his date of death 30th Dec 1934. The photo I have is undated but shows Michael in uniform, my grandmother standing behind & a baby on his knee. I have read that the two chevrons on his sleeve, as shown on the photo, indicate 6 yrs service and the medal record indicates that Michael Burns re-enlisted in 1919. TNA also has a record with the reference WO 372/3/191515 and the same regimental information which shows entitlement to Victory, British & 15 Star medals, but how can I find out if this relates to the Michael Burns I'm looking for? 

My Grandfather died aged 40, when my mother was only 4 years and his widow, my grandmother was left to bring up 4 children. My grandmother died when my mother was only 14 years old & my mother lost touch with her Scottish family many years ago so there are no other avenues of information. 

I'm still working out how to add the images I have which are his photo, the Ancestry Document & the TNA document. Many thanks - any light shed on any of this it would be fantastic.

If he reenlisted the MOD may have his papers as they hold them after ww1

June,

Welcome to the forum. There is a pension record card on ancestry's fold 3 or the Western Front Association pension cards (the latter free access to members) for a Michael Burns, 9023, Dragoon Gds., rank not known, widow Elizabeth, 65 Coats St., Coatbridge. It might break forum rules to upload a copy of the card. Those are the bare details. It makes no mention of the basis of any claim for a pension or if one was granted. 

Looking at the medal index card you found GS/9023 is the earlier service number of D/13587, Pte. Michael Burns. So it looks like you have found your grandfather if the pension card details check out.

Edited by HarryBrook

On 25/05/2020 at 07:26, Coldstreamer said:

If he reenlisted the MOD may have his papers as they hold them after ww1

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my request. 

On 25/05/2020 at 07:41, HarryBrook said:

June,

Welcome to the forum. There is a pension record card on ancestry's fold 3 or the Western Front Association pension cards (the latter free access to members) for a Michael Burns, 9023, Dragoon Gds., rank not known, widow Elizabeth, 65 Coats St., Coatbridge. It might break forum rules to upload a copy of the card. Those are the bare details. It makes no mention of the basis of any claim for a pension or if one was granted. 

Looking at the medal index card you found GS/9023 is the earlier service number of D/13587, Pte. Michael Burns. So it looks like you have found your grandfather if the pension card details check out.

Many thanks for looking this up, could I ask if there was a date shown on this record? My grandmother's parents lived at 67 Coats Street. I will look into getting access to the record myself. I've managed to attach the photo of Michael Burns. He obviously survived the Great War and I would like to read more about the activities of the 5th Dragoon Guards but have not been able to find much by my own efforts. Thanks again

MICHAEL BURNS copy.jpg

I've been researching my grandfather, Michael Burns, who was in the Dragoon Guards & have previously asked a question on this forum, the answers were very helpful so now I'm asking for more help from you knowledgeable people on here. I hope the link to the document works. 

I've found a Medal Index card online and have been reading the info on LLT to try to understand it. I've confirmed that it does refer to my grandfather as his Victory medal has just come to light within the family :). The edge of the medal has been inscribed GS 9023 PTE M. Burns 1-DGS as shown in the top section on the MIC.  This entry on the card has a symbol like a cross with 4 dots in the spaces, what significance does this have please?

The second line refers to G. S Dragoons and a different regimental number. The only information I had about my grandfather's WW1 service , prior to this MIC, was from the marriage entry to my grandmother in November 1914 which gave his occupation as 5th Dragoon Guards (Service), so this line must refer to that. Does this mean he was transferred from the 5th Dragoon Guards to the 1st Dragoon Guards and does anyone know the significance of this please?

The third line again refers to the !st Dragoon Guards with the same regimental number as for the 5th Dragoon Guards.

The next section has the information about the roll entries for the 3 medals but under this is another line with what looks like IND .GS.AFGN. NWFF and another roll number. Does anyone know what this means please?

From the LLT info I understand that the theatre of war 1 refers to Western Europe and that the date shown of 21/10/15 refers to the date he would have arrived in France. Given that his marriage was in November 1914 where the entry shows he had already enlisted then, where would he have spent the intervening 11 months?

The final reference is to his re-enlistmentment at the end of the war - would this have been for a further year? Searching through electoral registers has placed him as an absent voter at 65 Coats Street, Coatbridge in 1919. This address has been linked to him regarding a military pension as a result of my first post.

I've downloaded the relevant War diaries from the NA and am trying to piece together a picture of my grandfather 's life, he died many years before I was born. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

WO-372-3-191515.pdf

13587 Michael Burns re-enlisted in the 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards in 1919, age 25.  That puts his birth year at 1894.  He married Elizabeth O'Connor on 17 December 1914.  However, his birthplace is listed as Hamilton, Lancashire.  He received the 1914-15 Star trio for his WW1 service.  He also received the IGS with clasp for Afghanistan 1919.

Please since me a private message with your email and I can send you what I found.

Barney

Edited by barney5042

• Admin

The Medal Index Cards are that, an index to the Medal Rolls.

The symbol you refer to has been discussed many times, it is an ‘astrisk’ * in manuscript and notes the medals should be named to the 1st Dragoon Guards (as inscribed on the rim). All the ‘War Medals’ were named to the first unit, antheir issue administered by the last.  You can see it is repeated against the Roll numbers and is simply a reference mark.

A slip that accompanied the BWM and VM medal stated,

To avoid unnecessary correspondence, kindly note that the Regtl. particulars inscribed on the British War & Victory Medals are those held on first disembarkation in a theatre of war. The rank is the highest attained, PROVIDED IT WAS HELD IN A THEATRE OF WAR OR OVERSEAS PRIOR TO 11.11.18. Appointments such as L/Sgts., L/Cpl/, etc. are not inscribed on Medals, SPECIAL NOTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED IN RIFLE REGTS. 'Rifleman" is not inscribed on War Medals, "Pte." being the correct designation of this rank.'

He was also awarded the Indian General Service Medal with clasp for Afghanistan North West Frontier, which means he participated in the campaign known as the Third Afghan War.  This Medal would have his number on re - enlistment.i.e. 13587 as indicated by the # symbol (another reference mark) on the card.  This is a separate Roll to that of the ‘War Medals’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_General_Service_Medal_(1909)

(Follow link to Third Afghan War)

Not very knowledgeable on Cavalry renumbering but he was serving with the 1st Dragoon Guards when he entered a theatre of war.  He was a reinforcement as they had been in France since November 1914, my guess is he had been training in the U.K. prior to this.  The LLT shows they returned to India in 1917 which is where he re-enlisted.  This was a scheme whereby men enlisted for war Service were paid a bounty. The amount was commensurate with the period they elected to serve for, one, two or three years.  Many did not make the full term.

So 1st Number is that which he had when he entered a theatre of war and ws the number allocated when he enlisted in the 5th Dragoon Guards.  He was probably posted to the 1st as a reinforcement either in, or before embarking for the BEF.

2nd I don’t know but probably an administrative change

3rd A regular number issued on re-enlistment.

As noted on your previous thread as he served beyond 1920 his records may be held at Veterans Affairs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Looking at the book "Coatbridge and the Great War" which lists men from the town who served in WW1 it lists under Cavalry Regts 2 x Michael Burns:-

9023 Trooper Michael Burns, Dragoon Guards, 239 Main St.

And

19078 Trooper Michael Burns, 5th Dragoon Guards, 6 Jackson St.

The 1st entry is your man, the 2nd, maybe a relative? I Can't find a medal card for the 2nd man.

Have you looked at requesting Service records for him as Coldstreamer suggested?

Another way of tracking his service is to see what's on his children's birth certificates.

Sam

For records purposes, all of the Dragoon Guards and Dragoon regiments belonged to a single "Corps of Dragoons", so if a man was transferred between two regiments of this type he would retain his number and been administered by the same record office. There were separate "Corps of Hussars" and "Corps of Lancers" which were run on similar lines.

Ron

There are three pension record cards relating to Michael Burns, 9023, Dragoon Guards. The first bears two dates - a rubber stamp "1 Apr. 1926" and a written comment "All correspondence passed to 1/MB/10976   17/3/22". Another gives a list of correspondence dates beginning 17/3/22. The third is undated. 

Even before the war men were enlisted into cavalry groupings, Dragoons&Dragoon Guards, Hussars and Lancers.  They then trained at depots allocated to those groups and on successful completion of basic training were sent in reinforcement drafts to a specific regiment within their grouping.  To learn about his activity in the war you will need to be sure of his regiment.  It’s also possible that he might have moved between regiments, although usually less frequently than an infantryman might.

In your photograph he is certainly wearing the cap badge of the 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards.  During the war an all brass version was issued to simplify mass production (see below).  Perhaps he served with that regiment before the war, and so wanted to rejoin it after peace returned.

That regiment returned to India in October 1917 along with the Indian force that it had arrived in France with, so it seems likely that during the war he served with another regiment, probably the 5th Dragoon Guards, if that is what family recollections suggest.  The 5th Dragoon Guards had their depot at Dunbar, in a new barracks established not long before the war began.

590C4577-108E-48C6-8756-69CFFC991A5A.jpeg

D97E9951-31FB-4EA3-959C-26D3C3F67357.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

“On Saturday, 15th August 1914, the regiment of 549 men boarded the train at Farnborough, Hampshire, arriving at Southampton at 12:15pm.”

Cestrian

British troopship SS Cestrian, built in 1896 by Harland & Wolff, transported the 5th Dragoon Guards from Southampton to Le Havre on 16th August 1914. 

She was sunk in the Aegean Sea by a Geman U-boat on 24th June 1917, near the Greek island of Skyros, while transporting troops from Salonica, Greece, to Alexandria, Egypt. 

“By mid-afternoon the men and their horses had boarded the troopship SS Cestrian, which departed for Le Havre, France, at 5:15am, Sunday 16th August. The horses crossed the English Channel with their saddles on, owing to the short journey. The Cestrian reached Le Havre late in the afternoon, and the regiment disembarked.

On 17th August the regiment moved out from Le Havre, taking the train to Hautmont, north-east France, from where they rode six miles to billets in the village of Colleret, close to the border with Belgium. Three days later, the regiment crossed into Belgium, to billets in the village of Villers St. Ghislain, south-east of Mons. On the way, news reached the regiment of a German advance on Mons.

From Villers St. Ghislain, the regiment rode to new billets at Audregnies, west of Mons, arriving 23rd August with a strength of 558 officers and men (some additional men had become attached to the regiment), and 524 cavalry horses. The same day, Mons fell to the advancing German force, and the BEF began to retreat.

At 5:00am on 24th August, the fast-moving German advance, stretching across a front some 25 miles wide, reached Audregnies. Charles’s regiment came under attack, and was forced to withdraw back into France.

The regiment headed south, and reached the east of Paris by early September. It then looped back on itself and moved north-east towards Reims, following which it changed course to a northerly route through Amiens, crossing back into Belgium at Dranouter on the 14th October. 

The following few days saw the 5th Dragoon Guards make little progress, before the regiment arrived at Messines (Mesen), Belgium, on 20th October, where it took up positions around the town.“

charles-map

Battle of Messines (1914)

messines-5DG-map

Sketch of Messines from the war diary of the 5th Dragoon Guards, October 1914, showing British army positions. The 5th Dragoon Guards were in trenches numbered 5, 6, 7 and 10, houses and barricade numbered 11, and farm numbered 16.

“The German advance progressed rapidly across northern Belgium (Flanders) and north-east France, and throughout September and October both sides engaged in the Race to the Sea as they tried to break through each other’s defences, circle round and attack from the rear. 

Instead of breaking through, the forces pushed each other northwards towards the coast. By November, the North Sea had been reached. Along the way, both sides had built lines of trench defences, which ran across Flanders and north-east France. The Western Front been created.

The 5th Dragoon Guards saw action during the Race to the Sea, and by October the regiment was entrenched to the south and east of Messines.“

“Messines came under heavy shelling from German howitzers and was gradually reduced to ruins. On 17th November the Germans entered the town and, as the war diary of the regiment records, ‘throughout the day severe and uninterrupted fighting took place … A very determined attack was made at dusk’.

By the end of the day, the 5th Dragoon Guards had lost 4 officers and 27 men.”

There is further information of interest regarding the 5th DG, including a link to its war diary, here: https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/5th-princess-charlotte-of-waless-dragoon-guards

B6284FF5-20CD-42AF-8A1F-CBD148EDAD7B.jpeg

310B827C-A959-434F-9DC4-D4BB3E769FD1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

Looking at the book "Coatbridge and the Great War" which lists men from the town who served in WW1 it lists under Cavalry Regts 2 x Michael Burns:-

9023 Trooper Michael Burns, Dragoon Guards, 239 Main St.

And

19078 Trooper Michael Burns, 5th Dragoon Guards, 6 Jackson St.

The 1st entry is your man, the 2nd, maybe a relative? I Can't find a medal card for the 2nd man.

Have you looked at requesting Service records for him as Coldstreamer suggested?

Another way of tracking his service is to see what's on his children's birth certificates.

Sam

Hi Roughdiamond or Sam. Thanks for this information. His Victory medal has just come to light within the family which has the number 9023 & his marriage register entry for November 1914 gives his address as 239 Main Street ,but for the 5th Dragoon Guards so the first entry is the one relating to my grandfather.How interesting it all is. 

Now that I have verified his number I will definitely request his service records.

Coincidently my grandfather Michael Burns ended up living at 6 Jackson Street some years later on, this was the address my mother was born at. I think the other Michael Burns may have been an uncle? Further investigations required.

Would it be worth trying to get a copy of this book - does it give any other information on individuals?

Many thanks again, this is all really helpful.

16 hours ago, kenf48 said:

The Medal Index Cards are that, an index to the Medal Rolls.

The symbol you refer to has been discussed many times, it is an ‘astrisk’ * in manuscript and notes the medals should be named to the 1st Dragoon Guards (as inscribed on the rim). All the ‘War Medals’ were named to the first unit, antheir issue administered by the last.  You can see it is repeated against the Roll numbers and is simply a reference mark.

A slip that accompanied the BWM and VM medal stated,

To avoid unnecessary correspondence, kindly note that the Regtl. particulars inscribed on the British War & Victory Medals are those held on first disembarkation in a theatre of war. The rank is the highest attained, PROVIDED IT WAS HELD IN A THEATRE OF WAR OR OVERSEAS PRIOR TO 11.11.18. Appointments such as L/Sgts., L/Cpl/, etc. are not inscribed on Medals, SPECIAL NOTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED IN RIFLE REGTS. 'Rifleman" is not inscribed on War Medals, "Pte." being the correct designation of this rank.'

He was also awarded the Indian General Service Medal with clasp for Afghanistan North West Frontier, which means he participated in the campaign known as the Third Afghan War.  This Medal would have his number on re - enlistment.i.e. 13587 as indicated by the # symbol (another reference mark) on the card.  This is a separate Roll to that of the ‘War Medals’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_General_Service_Medal_(1909)

(Follow link to Third Afghan War)

Not very knowledgeable on Cavalry renumbering but he was serving with the 1st Dragoon Guards when he entered a theatre of war.  He was a reinforcement as they had been in France since November 1914, my guess is he had been training in the U.K. prior to this.  The LLT shows they returned to India in 1917 which is where he re-enlisted.  This was a scheme whereby men enlisted for war Service were paid a bounty. The amount was commensurate with the period they elected to serve for, one, two or three years.  Many did not make the full term.

So 1st Number is that which he had when he entered a theatre of war and ws the number allocated when he enlisted in the 5th Dragoon Guards.  He was probably posted to the 1st as a reinforcement either in, or before embarking for the BEF.

2nd I don’t know but probably an administrative change

3rd A regular number issued on re-enlistment.

As noted on your previous thread as he served beyond 1920 his records may be held at Veterans Affairs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

kenf48 thank you so much for all this. I'm completely blown away by the fact he was in India and Afghanistan. I'm his grandaughter, he died when my mother (his daughter) was only 4 years old. I don't think she ever knew this as she never mentioned it & has passed on herself now. Fascinating stuff and much to read up on. We only have the Victory Medal, no idea what happened to the other medals.

I must research further into getting his full records. This has been so helpful.

Thanks again

It doesn't provide any more information, and I know the National Archive is currently free, but if you register for a free account with Ancestry, you will be able to download a far better quality colour image of your grandfather's MIC:

Here

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

For records purposes, all of the Dragoon Guards and Dragoon regiments belonged to a single "Corps of Dragoons", so if a man was transferred between two regiments of this type he would retain his number and been administered by the same record office. There were separate "Corps of Hussars" and "Corps of Lancers" which were run on similar lines.

Ron

Many thanks Ron.

Do you know if I was to request his records ( still haven't worked out the best place to do that from yet), would the records be linked , or would I need to request each one separately- he has three numbers in total now.

Thanks again for your help.

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It doesn't provide any more information, and I know the National Archive is currently free, but if you register for a free account with Ancestry, you will be able to download a far better quality colour image of your grandfather's MIC:

Here

Many thanks - we have an Ancestry account so will do that. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

“On Saturday, 15th August 1914, the regiment of 549 men boarded the train at Farnborough, Hampshire, arriving at Southampton at 12:15pm.”

Cestrian

British troopship SS Cestrian, built in 1896 by Harland & Wolff, transported the 5th Dragoon Guards from Southampton to Le Havre on 16th August 1914. 

She was sunk in the Aegean Sea by a Geman U-boat on 24th June 1917, near the Greek island of Skyros, while transporting troops from Salonica, Greece, to Alexandria, Egypt. 

“By mid-afternoon the men and their horses had boarded the troopship SS Cestrian, which departed for Le Havre, France, at 5:15am, Sunday 16th August. The horses crossed the English Channel with their saddles on, owing to the short journey. The Cestrian reached Le Havre late in the afternoon, and the regiment disembarked.

On 17th August the regiment moved out from Le Havre, taking the train to Hautmont, north-east France, from where they rode six miles to billets in the village of Colleret, close to the border with Belgium. Three days later, the regiment crossed into Belgium, to billets in the village of Villers St. Ghislain, south-east of Mons. On the way, news reached the regiment of a German advance on Mons.

From Villers St. Ghislain, the regiment rode to new billets at Audregnies, west of Mons, arriving 23rd August with a strength of 558 officers and men (some additional men had become attached to the regiment), and 524 cavalry horses. The same day, Mons fell to the advancing German force, and the BEF began to retreat.

At 5:00am on 24th August, the fast-moving German advance, stretching across a front some 25 miles wide, reached Audregnies. Charles’s regiment came under attack, and was forced to withdraw back into France.

The regiment headed south, and reached the east of Paris by early September. It then looped back on itself and moved north-east towards Reims, following which it changed course to a northerly route through Amiens, crossing back into Belgium at Dranouter on the 14th October. 

The following few days saw the 5th Dragoon Guards make little progress, before the regiment arrived at Messines (Mesen), Belgium, on 20th October, where it took up positions around the town.“

charles-map

Battle of Messines (1914)

messines-5DG-map

Sketch of Messines from the war diary of the 5th Dragoon Guards, October 1914, showing British army positions. The 5th Dragoon Guards were in trenches numbered 5, 6, 7 and 10, houses and barricade numbered 11, and farm numbered 16.

“The German advance progressed rapidly across northern Belgium (Flanders) and north-east France, and throughout September and October both sides engaged in the Race to the Sea as they tried to break through each other’s defences, circle round and attack from the rear. 

Instead of breaking through, the forces pushed each other northwards towards the coast. By November, the North Sea had been reached. Along the way, both sides had built lines of trench defences, which ran across Flanders and north-east France. The Western Front been created.

The 5th Dragoon Guards saw action during the Race to the Sea, and by October the regiment was entrenched to the south and east of Messines.“

“Messines came under heavy shelling from German howitzers and was gradually reduced to ruins. On 17th November the Germans entered the town and, as the war diary of the regiment records, ‘throughout the day severe and uninterrupted fighting took place … A very determined attack was made at dusk’.

By the end of the day, the 5th Dragoon Guards had lost 4 officers and 27 men.”

There is further information of interest regarding the 5th DG, including a link to its war diary, here: https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/5th-princess-charlotte-of-waless-dragoon-guards

B6284FF5-20CD-42AF-8A1F-CBD148EDAD7B.jpeg

310B827C-A959-434F-9DC4-D4BB3E769FD1.jpeg

Thank you so much for this information and your previous post.

4 hours ago, HarryBrook said:

There are three pension record cards relating to Michael Burns, 9023, Dragoon Guards. The first bears two dates - a rubber stamp "1 Apr. 1926" and a written comment "All correspondence passed to 1/MB/10976   17/3/22". Another gives a list of correspondence dates beginning 17/3/22. The third is undated. 

Thanks for looking this up and getting back to me HarryBrook. This links in to another reply from RoughDiamond relating to entries in a book called "Coatbridge in the Great War" which has 2 x Michael Burns, one with with the number 9023 and the other with the number 19078 Trooper Michael Burns, 5th Dragoon Guards, 6 Jackson St.. 9023 is definitely my grandfather, I've ascertained this now. I think the only way to solve the conumdrum is to get his service records now. Do you have any experience or recommendations for doing this?

Thanks again. 

The service records of a soldier who was discharged from the army 1921 onwards (though the website says 1920 as well) are held by the Ministry of Defence. Cost £ 30, which I think they refund if nothing found. Pre lockdown requests took several months, so who knows how long now.  Worth applying to get a reasonable place in the queue !  This link says a death cert is usually required, but this requirement is waived if the soldier was born over 116 years ago, so just dob & as much info as you know needed.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Edited by travers61

• kenf48 changed the title to 5th Dragoon Guards information request

Thank you, I've just read a piece of information which says he was discharged in 1921 so this sounds like the route to go down.

• Admin

It is very confusing and repetitive to maintain two threads on one soldier.  I have therefore merged the two threads.

This duplication has already led to some confusion.  As shown on the Medal Index Card and the Rolls he did not enter a theatre of war (F & F) until the 21 October 1915 as a reinforcement for the 1st Dragoon Guards.  The war diary shows 100 dismounted reinforcements arrived on the 25th October, with further reinforcements the following day.  He did not participate in any action with the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1914.

Yes, thank you Kenf48. In my first post on May 25th I was trying to find out how to verify the information I had, but since then I've had definite proof of identity so should have added my request for more help to the original posting. Apologies, still finding my way around how the forum works. Very grateful for all information received so far.

Edited by June Burke
word omitted

• Admin
1 minute ago, June Burke said:

Yes, thank you Kenf48. In my first post on May 25th I was trying to find out how to verify the information I had, but since then I've had definite proof of identity so should have added my request for more help to the original posting. Apologies, still finding my way around how the forum works. Very grateful for all information received so far.

Yes, it does take time for us all,  but then it soon becomes an obsession, no worries good luck with your search.

He may even be in this picture

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/1st-kings-dragoon-guards

Ken

I've just consulted the Excel spreadsheets of Service Records of soldiers still in the possession of the MOD (Born before 1900, served 1921 or after), and you might be in luck.

This entry is on it:

Account Item Code Object Service No. Service No. Name UDF2 UDF4 Date of Birth
11005 ADT000090701 File 3305596 NULL BURNS M NULL NULL 1894-03-19
Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr