Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Annie Woodock - nurse in France WW1

lmcfaull

Can anyone help please? I am trying to discover who my Great Grandfather was.  My Great Grandmother Annie Woodcock born 1896 in Wednesbury Staffordshire, had a relationship with someone serving in WW1 and my Nan - Alice was the result.  My Nan never knew who her father was and the Fathers name on her birth certificate was blank. My Nan was born on the 2nd July 1915 and my Great Nan's address at that time was Chapel Street Wednesbury. When my Nan married my Grandad she wrote her Fathers name as Henry Woodcock (deceased) and his occupation as a sailor in the merchant service.  I worry this may be a red herring though as Annie's maiden name is Woodcock so I think it's unlikely - but not impossible -  that Alice's fathers surname was also Woodcock but maybe there is some truth in his first name?  The only thing my Nan was told was that her father was Canadian but again I am not completely certain of this.  I have done an Ancestry DNA test but I need to narrow down the people who I can see no obvious link with in other areas of my family.  I have spoken to relatives of my Nan's half siblings and they believe that Annie may have helped in the war for a time in France as a nurse.  Is there any way of finding more information on this as if she was in France around the time Alice was conceived - September 1914 - it may help my search.  Many Thanks.

Please continue on the linked thread to keep it together in one place.

Craig

• ss002d6252 locked this topic