Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC airmen service record

K8T8S

Hi,

Can anyone help, please? I have a copy of my gt gf rfc/raf airman service record. He was an airmechanic and I am trying to find out which squadron he was in to trace his movements through ww1 and if he served in France, but I am having difficulty understanding the abbreviations / difference between rfc wings and squadrons. My gt gf died just after the ww1 and his time in and contribution to  ww1 is unknown to the family. Also if anyone can help me to understand how/why he was recategorised by the medical board.

Copy of service record I have obtained from find my past below.

Many thanks

image.png.ad249373ce3499a556b1900288dcd760.png

image.png.7d2799b7818b243f1eed40657c696de4.png

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Can you please let us know his name and service number then we can help you as it is easier for a lot of us "especially us with bad eyesight" to look him up ourselves and see the whole service record.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Nathan

His service with the RFC and RAF would appear to have all been Home Service. 27th Wing was  based in Waddington and 48 Training Depot Station was also based at Waddington.

He may have had some overseas service with whichever Regiment he served between joining up on 7th June 1915 and transferring to the Royal Flying Corps on 23rd May 1917.

There are a couple of pension cards regarding him on "fold3", one with reference to his deafness and one regarding a widows pension  to Lois Cross.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212