Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Coker DFC. Kite Balloonist WW1

Hello. I was recently cleaning out some old cupboards and I found my Great Grandfather's old army trunk. Out of idle interest I typed his name into Google and was astounded to find a reference to an eBay auction (maybe US eBay) for his old uniforms. I was flabbergasted. The entry also went into some detail about his postings and units throughout his career. I remember as a child my grandmother would tell me about her father and I think I remember a uniform in her attic but that may have belonged to someone else. It would be amazing find out anymore information and eventually I would love to track down the uniform and try and buy it to return to the family. My father is still alive (and still has his grandfather's medals and a revolver.) This revolver (no idea whether this is true or not) was used by my Great Grandfather in a shootout competition with one of the great names of the Wild West, Buffalo Bill, on one of his tours to London. Amazing if it's true. Anyway please do read the following and any info greatly received.

An exceedingly rare WW1 British uniform grouping to a Distinguished Flying Cross awarded Royal Air Force Balloonist.Consisting of a service green uniform with matching breeches. Jacket in excellent condition with all insignia and ribbons, breeches show wear, some mothing and a cut/tear on one leg, but the damage is all on the rear and will present well.A blue patrol jacket with all ribbons and insignia with matching overall trousers, and visor cap with badge. All in very good conditionMess dress jacket, lacking one pip and collar insignia, matching waistcoat, matching overall trousers with some moth damage to top rear.assorted dress collars and set of box spursthe entire lot is named to Captain William CokerCaptain William Coker DFC, 2nd East Surrey Regiment, Shropshire Light Infantry, RAF, West India Regiment, RAF Reserve and RAFVRWilliam Coker was a member of the 2nd Bttn, East Surrey Regiment as a Warrant Officer 2nd Class when the war broke out. His regiment was stationed in India at the outbreak and returned to the UK in the fall of 1914. He was commissioned on Christmas Eve 1914, just prior to his regiment leaving for France. The 2nd East Surrey Regiment was at Ypres in early 1915 taking appalling casualties. Roughly 800 of the 1000 men engaged were wounded or killed. They again saw heavy combat at Loos in September of 1915 before embarking for the Salonika front.When the 8th Bttn, Shropshire Light Infantry took heavy casualties, much from disease, in the region of Lake Doria on the Bulgarian front in February of 1917, Lt Coker was given a temporary posting to then (Captain), effective March 11. 1917.on August 1st, 1918. Captain (temporary) Coker was made a temporary Lt in the RAF and assigned to Balloon Company #1 as a 'Kite Balloon Officer'. He remained with this unit for the duration of the war. His medal card reads that his 1914/15 star is named to him as a member of the 2nd East Surrey Regiment, while his War and Victory Medals are named to him as an officer of the RFC.At the cessation of the war, he returned to his parent regiment.At the Birthday Honors for King George in 1919, 2nd Lt William Coker of the East Surrey Regiment was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his temporary service with Balloon Company #1 of the Royal Air Force from August - November 1918in 1925 Captain Coker DFC was made acting Adjutant of the West India Regiment in Kingston Jamaica.in November of 1937, Captain Coker is made Captain of the RAF Reserve and assigned to general duties and on December 21, 1939 he surrendered his commission and retired after 25 years of service.This is an extremely rare uniform group to an identified winner of the Distinguished Flying Cross in World War 1 as a balloonist. No wings were worn by Kite Balloonists when they did not also qualify as a pilot with the Royal Flying Corps so this is completely original and as worn.No insignia have been removed or added and the uniform is as found and has not been cleaned. Wear is as expected for this age with some very minor mothing found.Payment by 2.24 will ship on 2.26. otherwise, not until 3.1Sold as is with no reservethinning a 40 year collection. All items are as found with no restoration. Some researched, some not. I just have too many.

25E64492-C721-4BF4-B5C4-D8CE1E6FAF74.jpeg

9B75E233-E152-48AC-9826-2C93FF531D86_4_5005_c.jpeg

3693CFDF-90A8-4CA5-B569-4DA56BDA6054_4_5005_c.jpeg

328FDCD6-0C3A-4F80-8E54-2BD80914D751_4_5005_c.jpeg