Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest brecklandboy

Totally Confused By Medal Card - Any Help Please?

Guest brecklandboy

Dear Friends

I am new to The Great War Forum.

I had been searching to find any information from members of my older family on my grandfather's war history. Nobody seemed to know anything about it apart from that he served with the RHA.

I happened to find his medal card online but I am totaly confused by it and dont know what I should do next to find more information relating to my grandad. Please could somebody possibly tell me how to understand this and what I should do next in order to try and find out about grandad?

Many thanks to anybody who may be able to help.

With kind regards

brecklandboy

post-31-1108681879.jpg

GavinH

What you have there isn't actually a Medal Index Card. The card records the issue of a 'Silver War Badge'.

Have a look at this link http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad8.htm

Sometimes this type of card also has details of the medals issued, and sometimes you will find them recorded on a seperate Medal Index Card. If your Grandfather did not serve overseas, then he would not have qualified for medals and this badge would be his only entitlement.

Regards

Gavin

GavinH

Also I should add that he served as a Gunner in 'L' Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, and was discharged due to sickness (Rather than wounds)

Regards

Gavin

Guest brecklandboy

Hi Gavin

Thanks for your help with this. I spoke to my mother and she said that her father had been gassed in the Somme. I dont know much more about this at the moment but I am going to try and pursue this with my eldest uncle who is eighty, he might know more although I have asked him before I think.

Many thanks again

brecklandboy

Paul Reed

I have checked on the Documents Online site to see if he has another card, and he doesn't - which seems to imply that the Silver War Badge was his only entitlement and that he did not serve overseas. There is a good chance his record will have survived in class WO364 in the NA, as he was discharged during the war.

A Silver War Badge looks like this:

post-31-1108729746.jpg

Guest brecklandboy

Hi Paul

I have just come back online and saw your reply. I then phoned my mother and asked her if she had anything at all relating to grandfather's service in the war. She has just told me that she has a small silver badge which sounds very much like the picture you posted on site. I will let you know more when I next see her as she lives about 50 miles from me.

Thanks again for all you've done.

Regards

brecklandboy

Guest plim

this is my dads after ww2 as i know it ww1 on here not been able to find my granddads first world war info maybe because he was in the second world war as well not sure

post-31-1109285053.jpg