Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Pte Richard Charles Jones 1 Somerset LI

Promenade

Digging through some old records which I had collected in Liverpool over 15 years ago I came across the following photo which was taken from what I presume is a fairly rare and obscure magazine. Although I have no interest in the Someset LI I thought it worthwhile to make a few notes on his service if nothing more than to remember him - if you know more about him please post.

As he may have been an orphan this may be the only photo of him. His papers do not appear to have survived nor is there a pension card for him included in those that have been made available. 'Soldiers Died' lists him as born Denbigh, enlisted Warrington residence St Asaph. The only other reference I can find giving information about him is in 'Soldiers Effects' where his grandmother is listed as Catherine Pritchard. It is likely that he was killed in action on 19/12/14 in the attack on the Birdcage near Ploegsteert Wood. According to the 'History of the Somerset LI' by Wyrall five officers were killed and one wounded that day together with 27 other ranks killed, 52 wounded and 30 reported as missing.

His CWGC entry reads as follows:-

JONES, Pte. R. C., 8775. 1st Bn. Somerset Light Inf. 20th Dec., 1914. IX. P. 9. (Strand Military Cemetery - Belgium)

temp_Jones.jpg

temp_Jones1.jpg

The Clwyd Family History Society website has him as Charles Pritchard Jones (aka Robert Charles Jones), grandson of Catherine Pritchard of Denbigh Road, St Asaph.

My guess is that this is him on the 1911 census in St Asaph.

Household                   Role             Sex        Age    Birthplace
Hugh Pritchard            Head            Male        45     Denbigh
Catherine Pritchard     Wife             Female    48     Denbigh
Charles Jones             Grandson    Male          9      Denbigh

There is an interesting paragraph on this webpage which details the activities at the St Anne Industrial School

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/LiverpoolRefugeIS/

Dave