Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

290580 Gunner William Tickner 141st HB RGA


Recommended Posts

On 03/10/2020 at 10:27, kevinrowlinson said:

It was probably from 119 Brigade RFA around July 1915.

 

291 later 290575 Gnr Powell was 3167 in D Bty 119 Bde RFA initially, enlistment 12 Apr 1915 at Newport then  38 Hy Bty.

 

Max

Edited by MaxD
Link to post
Share on other sites
Derek Tickner
6 hours ago, MaxD said:

 

291 later 290575 Gnr Powell was 3167 in D Bty 119 Bde RFA initially, enlistment 12 Apr 1915 at Newport then  38 Hy Bty.

 

Max

Aw brill Max....they undoubtedly knew each other,fantastic bit of info,ive loads to get my teeth into now,i cant thank you and Kevin enough....please dont stop though any info is always welcome as im a bit new to all this

Derek

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Derek Tickner
On 01/10/2020 at 09:48, MaxD said:

3 FA relieved 91 FA at the Corps Main Dressing Station at Bac du Sud on 6 July 1918.  Square Q 32 on:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=50.22809&lon=2.60701&layers=101465107&b=1  Details from the war diary of 3 FA WO 95/1207 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351825

 

The war diary of 42 AT http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7445bc92d28f493b971c74af6c25723f

 

3 FA is on Ancestry, both diaries can be downloaded free at the moment.

 

Do you have the location of his battery at the time?

 

Max

Hi Max attatched is the map location of the 141st HB as you requested 

Screenshot_2020-04-15-18-52-56.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Derek

 

My query was more to do with whether you had the location as you were planning a trip to Beaumont Hamel.

 

The location in the post you cite was where the battery was in June 1917.

 

Your man was injured in July 1918 and the location of 3 Field Ambulance at Bac du Sud at that time adds up with a battery location somewhere in the Beaumont Hamel area.

 

I'll see what war diaries have to say about July 1918, I didn't do it previously until I knew whether you already had the July 1918 location.

 

Max

Link to post
Share on other sites
Derek Tickner
6 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Derek

 

My query was more to do with whether you had the location as you were planning a trip to Beaumont Hamel.

 

The location in the post you cite was where the battery was in June 1917.

 

Your man was injured in July 1918 and the location of 3 Field Ambulance at Bac du Sud at that time adds up with a battery location somewhere in the Beaumont Hamel area.

 

I'll see what war diaries have to say about July 1918, I didn't do it previously until I knew whether you already had the July 1918 location.

 

Max

Hi Max my guide says thats where our tour is going 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beaumont Hamel is certainly right for the approximate area of the battery in July 1918.   The July 1917 location is about 60 miles north and while of interest  has nothing to do with the 1918 Spring Offensive and Beaumont Hamel.

 

I have the war diary for the Heavy Artillery Group that 141 Heavy belonged to in July 1918 and am hoping to trace the battery movements for you.  My ai all along was to try to get a better location than just the Beaumont Hamel area.

 

Max

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Derek Tickner
2 hours ago, MaxD said:

Beaumont Hamel is certainly right for the approximate area of the battery in July 1918.   The July 1917 location is about 60 miles north and while of interest  has nothing to do with the 1918 Spring Offensive and Beaumont Hamel.

 

I have the war diary for the Heavy Artillery Group that 141 Heavy belonged to in July 1918 and am hoping to trace the battery movements for you.  My ai all along was to try to get a better location than just the Beaumont Hamel area.

 

Max

 

 

 

Many thanks Max much appreciated,i keep hitting brick walls,possibly due to the lack of experience

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had forgotten my post of 2 October in which I posted the location of two sections of 141 HB on 14 July 1918 taken from the 86 Heavy Artillery Group diary.

On the map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.22929&lon=2.61310&layers=101465107&b=1  (use the blue slider to show the present day image, the railway isn't there but its line south of the road is clear).

 

Beaumont Hamel is about 20 km south of there.

 

Max

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...