Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial photos

Chris_Baker

A collection of aerial photos taken recently by forum member Iain McHendry can now be found on the website, but only from the link shown below.

I have not put the photos on the forum, as the photos need to be big to do them justice, and file sizes are rather large. Please be aware that if you are using a 56k dial-up modem the download time could be quite lengthy.

There are also some interesting shots of Yorkshire Trench. Enjoy. Thanks Iain!

Click here for the photos

Excellent photos, Iain, thanks for making these available. Although the rumoured unexploded mine at Petit Douve might be well below ground level, I'd be very wary of burning any rubbish in the vicinity. Hell, I'd be nervous stubbing out a cigarette! :unsure:

Gary

Cripes , Iain, you must have been flying very low when you got those shots of Yorkshire trench !

Seriously though, Tyne Cot is amazing from the air.

Iain,

Thanks for allowing us to share in these incredible photos. Since an aerial exploration like you undertook is far from likely for most of us, no matter how much we desire, these shots of "the ol' front line" are brilliantly illustrative. I agree that Tyne Cot is even more impressive by air...a massive memorial to sacrifice...

Cheers,

Patrick

Nice one Iain - I hope to join you on one of your trips one day. Glad also to see one of your aerials gracing the cover of the new edition of the Holts Ypres guide. Hope they sent you a copy!? :D

Iain,

Are these pics film transferred to digital or were they originally digital ? I have a pro. photographer who has just bought some superb Nikon 6 megapixel digital cameras that take his full range of nikon lenses and would love to get over the battlefields with this sort of kit.

Iain McHenry E-Mailed me asking if the photo's he took were on the forum. I replied with all the comments you gave and he was in his own words "quite humbled".

he wanted the forum members to know that he cannot access the forum because of Nato restrictions as he is currently serving with the KFOR in KOSOVO.

He wanted to thank the members who posted comments on his photo's. Anyone wanting more information can contact him on his E-mail address :

mchenry@main.kfor.nato.int

He also mentioned he used a Minolta 350 XI with 28-80 mm lens and 80-300mm lens. All photos were taken not lower than 1,200 altitude.

Koyli

Yes Iain great photo's, they look strangely familiar.

Fame and fortune at last.

Great web site, thanks for letting me knowabout it, I hope to see you at the Shell Hole in November.

Hi all

Regarding aerial photographs has anyone come across any modern day ones looking down over Serre Rd Cemetery No2 and the Redan Ridge area of the Somme.

Thanks

Terrry

Terry

I was in contact with Iain McHenry yesterday as I am planning to meet him in November at Ypres. As we are both pilots, we are planning to do alot of flying of the area during my visit. If you require those photos and can wait until November 03, then Im sure we can help you out.

He also suggested that I post on this forum that anyone wishing to join us for a flight to let him or I know.

We are always looking for brave passengers!!!

Paul

Hi Marco

I am doing a talk at a local Territorial Drill Hall for their 'Somme Night' anniversery and the unit, to this day, (Royal Fusiliers) still belongs to 143 Brigade. Hence, I will be talking about the attack on the Heidenkopf by the 1/8 and 1/6 Royal Warwicks on 1/7/16, who were also in 143 Brigade.

Thats why I was asking the question. To help illustrate my talk, and to show how close Serre Road cemetery No.2 is to the actual site of the Heidenkopf.

Which will help if they ever visit the area during a future battlefield tour

Cheers

Terry

Hello Koyli / Ian,

1,200 feet is the answer you have to give as a pilot, is it not? :D

I remember one occasion on the Somme when we had to pull up for electrical wire and although not a pilot I’m pretty sure they are much lower than 1,000 feet.

On an other occasion we flew in a WW2 bomber. They buzzed a hospital (...) twice where a member of the crew was hospitalised. After the second run air-traffic control informed about our height. That same moment the pilot put the plane in what seamed a vertical assent which caused me to bump my head on the windscreen since I was in the tailgunners position. His reply was “1,000 feet” as well.

I didn’t complain on both occasions! :D

Regards,

Marco

• 4 weeks later...

To all who replied after seeing the photo's,

AT LAST, I've managed to get back onto the forum after nearly 2 months. We had a bandwidth restriction on our computers down here in Kosovo so I have been unable to access any forum or chatroom. Now the bandwidth is lifted and I am able to view the forum once again!!! Just a quick message to say thankyou for your kind words.

I'm leaving Kosovo on 15 August and returning to Belgium :D . I will have a month off before returning to work. Any one in the area of Ypres from the 25th August till 16 September, I will be around. Let me know if you want to see the Salient from the air.

many thanks again.

Iain

Welcome back Iain. I'm over on 20/21 Sept and will unfortunately just miss you. I don't suppose there's any chance of you being around then is there ?

Michael

Guest Simon Bull

If there are pals who are taking aerial photographs of the Western Front I would have thought that an area which cries out for attention is the line around Arras, where industrial development is moving on apace. I have a particular interest in the area of The Harp, just south of Tilloy-les-Mofflaines, (where my grandfather won his first MM). I have been told that this area is scheduled to be turned into industrial warehousing in the near future. On the ground there are visible signs of the Hindenburg line and it would be very interesting to see what turned up on aerial photographs. These sort of considerations must apply to the western front all around the Arras area. Much of it has already gone under development and what there is left close to Arras must all be under threat.

Simon Bull