Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

please help george black royal scots k i a

weshallremember

Hi Chris

Can I ask what you input to the the Ancestry Gallipoli war diary search engine to get the Line of Comminations Embarkation diary entry you mentioned above. I’ve tried different combinations and have failed to get the results you have produced.

Kind regards

LIT

so it seems

he was in the gordon highlanders around dec 1914 by his service number

but no real proof ??

then by his number again in the 1st garrison royal scots around aug 1915

for what ever reason unfit for service  or wounded ??

then sent to mudros around oct 1915 

where he transferred at sometime to 1st/4th royal scots maybe around jan or feb 1917

then to france april 1918 with the 1st.4th

and his medal card date of entree in france august 1915 must be an error??

• Admin

Just noticed that there were two threads running about this man, so I have merged them

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 00:17, FROGSMILE said:

Very likely combed out of the Garrison Battalion into 1/4th while both were in Egypt.  From 1916 onward the Army was constantly looking for men who were fit enough to qualify for frontline infantry service.  In the case of the TF, many men who before conscription signed up for voluntary service under TF Terms and Conditions, and did not opt for Imperial Service, were sent to 2nd and then 3rd line battalions.  Once universal service conditions applied, after the military service act entered the statute book, they could be and were combed out for TF units sent to operational theatres of war.

Intentional Deletion.  

Edited by TullochArd

From my reading of the MIC I would say 28762 Pte George Black qualified for the 14/15 Star in France on 11.8.15 with 1 RS, and for some reason, shortly after he became 202535 Pte George Black 1(G)RS.  The MIC ditto line is understandably misleading - it fails to differentiate clearly between 1RS and 1(G)RS. 

1 RS were on the Western Front from Dec 14 - Dec 15.

1(G)RS was formed at Edinburgh in August 1915 when George Black was with 1 RS in France. 1(G)RS moved to Stobs Camp, Hawick October 1915 and then sailed from Devonport to Mudros on 24 October 1915 arriving 4 November 1915. Based on two companies it deployed to Helles, Dardanelles on 8 November 1915. It then moved to Egypt in February 1916 and served in Egypt as Lines of Communication Defence Troops. It was then moved to Cyprus, based on three companies, on 7 April 1916 (one company remained in Egypt) where the Cyprus contingent served for the remainder of the war mainly guarding Turkish Prisoners of War. The Battalion returned home, and was disbanded, in May 1919.

George Black was likely with either the Cyprus or Egypt group .......at some point ........ but ....... at some point, as FROGSMILE points out, was "Very likely combed out of the Garrison Battalion into 1/4th".  Medical reviews were routine and frequent. As  we know, from IWGC Records he was later KIA in 1/4 RS in 1918 indicating he had been medically reviewed and transferred ....... at some point.  

A soldier with a very similar 1(G)RS number, 202770 Pte James Love (former A&SH) was buried in Famagusta, Cyprus in January 1919.  

Edited by TullochArd

• 3 months later...

George black(mckimmie) is my great uncle, my name is James spalding. Thomas mckimmie was my grandad.think he changed his name to enlist again   took my late sister a while to figure this out.

Ps   how do u upload pictures on this site

• Admin
7 hours ago, Spud666 said:

George black(mckimmie) is my great uncle, my name is James spalding. Thomas mckimmie was my grandad.think he changed his name to enlist again   took my late sister a while to figure this out.

Ps   how do u upload pictures on this site

Welcome to the forum James

See here for how to upload images https://www.greatwarforum.org/help/managing-images/

• 10 months later...

ok now confused again

forces war records shows this

George

Black

Private

1st Royal Scots

George

Black

Private

1st Royal Scots

both numbers the same on his medal index card

but says 1 (g) royal scots    1st garrison ????

trevor

thanks chris

very helpful

this has been a marathon

confused with the date if entree in france as 11th august 1915 on medal card

but listed as 1st (garrison) royal scots no mention of gordons

Dundee Evening Telegraph [10/06/1915] when his brother James is missing and the article states George was serving in the 1st Gordon Highlanders.

[Dundee Courier 21/03/1916] and it states there that George was serving with the Royal Garrison Artillery ??????

so searched for soldiers with similar numbers to george in the 1st garrison georges number was 28762

found numbers 28759 , 28765. 29769,  28712, 28781,

all were listed as in egypt 3   either 24th october or 25th october 1915

so conclusion george was in the gordons in france  

wounded or unfit for duty

sent to the 1st garrison royal scots 

in egypt as were the 1st/4th royal scots 

transferred   to the 1st/4th  

his will says in 1st/4th royal scots 15/5/1917