Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment - La Maisonnette

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

As some of you will know I have spent my time researching The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment during their time opposite La Maisonnette during January - March 1917 and I was wondering if anyone had been to this location recently and taken up to date photo's of this area? I was hoping to try and do a now and then picture comparison with some old pictures which I have found.

Thank you so much.

Micah Dominic Parsons

Query: is that the farm on the west side of the Somme and more or less opposite Peronne? (I am away from books etc etc and so am going on memory.) If so let me know - I expect to be on the Some for several weeks from the middle of this month and I should be able to have  a go see and photograph for you - but it would be useful to get some idea of where the original photograph was taken. You might want to pm me.

Hello Nigel,

This is the place. Actually the pictures are pretty much from this footage - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060022650. I was hoping to have a picture of La Maisonette looking from The British Front Line? I shall PM you som maps which I had made.

Thank you so much.

Micah Dominic Parsons

La M was a key point overlooking the Somme and Peronne on its southern side (for that matter you can see the northern side, but you get my drift). It had quite a background as a key point, not least during the Franco-Prussian War.

To the point: the British line (taken over from the French at the beginning of 1917 when the BEF took over the whole of the Somme 1916 French line as it was at the 'end' pf the battle) here is identified by trench maps and I have had a look at it from all around the salient that the German position formed. No problem in getting you some photographs - the best option would be panoramas from the north west and south west  sides.

La Maisonette is now an oversized (and working) farm, as it were (thus the name is somewhat ironical!).

I shall pm you my email address.

Edited by nigelcave
wouth best! now south west ...

Hello Nigel,

Thank you so much, It is such an interesting area and some of the events that took place in that area are just so intriguing. It is amazing to think a place once so violent is such a peaceful place now.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons