Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bomberdier frankish

Afternoon I was wondering if anybody could help me with a little problem i'm trying to figure out with my family history. I'm trying to get copies of all of my family's medals and display these but with a few relatives there's a few gaps as to what dated medals they were entitled to and i'd like to have it as close to the truth as possible. 

My 3rd great uncle soldier number 41283 Donald Whiteman MM was in the army before the First World War broke out on the census records it states in 1911 that he was stationed in India with the 89th battery Royal Field Artillery but I'm unable to trace his assertation form and I don't know when he joined and when he left the army. any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Dominic

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Dominic

His Medal Index Card shows he entered a theatre of war on 6/11/14 so was entitled to the British War Medal, Victory Medal and 1914 Star.

(Image courtesy Ancestry free access)

image.png

FMP has him POW on 27th June 1918 link

Good luck with your research

David

Hi Dominic & welcome to the forum.

Medal Index Cards & Medal Rolls on ancestry show that Donald disembarked in France on 6th Nov 1914 as a Corporal in 33rd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery and his medal entitlement was the 1914 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal. A clasp to the 1914 Star was available to those under fire or within artillery range up till 22 Nov 1914, but had to be claimed & this is not recorded on the medal roll for him. Other 33rd Brigade men that are on the roll near him did claim it.

6th Nov 1914 is the date that 33rd Brigade RFA went to France with its Division, the 8th.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/xxxiii-brigade-of-the-royal-field-artillery/

Travers

thank you. Both of you. I knew about his military medal and had a good idea about his first world war medals but what I was really wanting to know was if he would have received the 1908 India general service medal and what clasp would it be. the problem I'm unfortunately faced with is I know he was in India in 1911 but I don't know if he got the IGSM and what clasp it would be because I don't know when he entered the army what would be the best way to find out? I've tried ancestry and find my past but it doesn't seen to bring anything up

Dominic

36 minutes ago, bomberdier frankish said:

thank you. Both of you. I knew about his military medal and had a good idea about his first world war medals but what I was really wanting to know was if he would have received the 1908 India general service medal and what clasp would it be. the problem I'm unfortunately faced with is I know he was in India in 1911 but I don't know if he got the IGSM and what clasp it would be because I don't know when he entered the army what would be the best way to find out? I've tried ancestry and find my past but it doesn't seen to bring anything up

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

If your relative was in India in 1911 then it does not necessarily mean that he would have received the IGS'08 medal, although I am not entirely certain if there is a medal roll for the IGS'08 for that period--it is however a possibility that he was awarded the Delhi Durbar 1911 medal which was the equivalent of the 1911 Coronation medal, and awarded to some British troops who attended the Durbar in India.

I shall see if I can check these out for you,

Robert

I'm not on FMP, so I can't check this out but Royal Artillery Attestations from 1883-1942 are on there.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/royal-artillery-attestations-1883-1942

His MM might have been mentioned in a local paper article, which may have shown details of his pre-war service.

Also news of missing men reported as pows, or returning pows were often featured in local papers. The British Newspaper Archive is one on line source while record offices are closed.