Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Identification Please

CorleyMiller

Hampshire Cyclist Battalion I believe:

WW1 The Hampshire Cyclist Battalion - 100% GENUINE British ...

That's great, thank you.

It was from a photo that I thought might be my great grandfather, according to surviving records he was in the Worcs Regt and then Oxf & Bucks LI but the cap badge didn't match either, no mention of the Hampshire Cyclist Battalion in his records.

The Hampshire Cyclist Battalion (9th Bn Hamps Rgt) had men posted to both 10th Bn Worc Rgt and the OBLI, (mainly 2/1st Bucks Bn of the OBLI). Unless you have your great grandfathers service record I would not discount him having served in 9th Bn Hamps Rgt. If he did not serve oversea with the Hampshire Regiment it will not be shown on his medal index card or medal roll. What were his regimental numbers?

Hello,

My great grandfather was Private Frank Green 20039 (Oxf & Bucks LI), formerly 21799 (Worcs Regt). It was a complete surprise to discover that he served and I only discovered this when my Nan's name came up (a dependant on his Pensions Ledger Card) in a search for something else. As far as I'm aware he didn't serve overseas (he was 47 at the outbreak of WW1 and died in the UK), I couldn't find a medal index card or service record but I have a copy of his Pensions record card, Soldiers Effects details, Soldiers died in the Great War listing and CWGC burial details. There's no indication of which battalions other than one reference to 'Depot' with Oxf & Bucks.

I am not an expert on the Worcs Regt or the OBLI. His service numbers show that he was not in the drafts of men I mentioned being posted from 9/Hants to the Worcs & OBLI. I am unable to assist further but you may get more help if you were to begin another thread under Soldiers and their units, stating what you do know and asking for further information. Searching for OBLI soldiers with service numbers near you great grandfather's may give you some idea of his service.

No problem. I greatly appreciate your assistance and the suggestions. I'll definitely check out the service numbers close to my great grandfather's  - one or more may have surviving service records, and I'll put together a post for a thread in the Soldiers and their units section.

Many Thanks