Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US little medal, help

just

I am guessing that it is just a keep-sake that would have been bought in a street market. It could have been worn with a ribbon by children or, possibly, by a man who was home on leave and wanted to be seen as serving so as not to be given a white feather. It might also get him a drink in a pub. I don't think that it is official.

What year was the term World War coined? 

Simon

7 minutes ago, mancpal said:

What year was the term World War coined? 

Simon

It appears that the term 'World War' was first used in circa 1848/1850 by Karl Marx, however the term 'World War 1' was first coined in 1939, in order to differentiate 'World War One' from 'World War Two'.

I suppose that in reality the Great War 1914-1918 was in effect the first true 'World War' that had ever been experienced by mankind.

Is that any clearer?  Not sure!!

Robert

Many US counties and cities had unofficial "service medals" minted after the war and they were presented to returning veterans. There is quite an active collectors' market in them in the US.

They usually (but not always) have the country name on them but some do not.

This one appears to have been made in New Jersey. The design in the middle (the star on a white field with a red border - is very similar to the "son in service" banners and pins that were purchased/made and displayed by families).

Chris