Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Theodore Nurse Pte RASC

Gunner Bailey

I've been researching Private William Theodore Nurse of the ASC. Number M/318655.

From Ancestry I've got the following:-

Medal Card

Medal Roll

Attestation Records

Disciplinary Records

Discharge

Service Record

Medical reports

Electoral Roll 1930's

1939 Review

What is odd is that within these documents his age and year of birth varies with age of enlistment in 1915 21 (1894) Attestation (1893) Medical Review 1919 age 24 and 1939 Review 22 (Day) No month and 93 as year.

In the Birth, Death and Marriage sections I can find no trace of him.

In the 1930's he was living with a Charlotte Nurse but again I can find no trace of her.

Post war Nurse was a itinerant musician and lived mainly in Hammersmith (in WW2 his address is two pubs)

Nurse was possibly born in the West Indies, but that does not explain the lack of other registrations and the odd information regarding his birthday..

If anyone has skills with regard to finding Birth or death registrations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey
Add service number.

17 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

1939 Review 22 (Day) No month and 93 as year.

it actually shows dittos to the above line of May   ie 22/5/93

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

It look more like 22/3/1893 to me

40 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

In the 1930's he was living with a Charlotte Nurse but again I can find no trace of her.

She was his mother. Address 1906    50 Osborne Villas Hove.  source School Rolls on FindmyPast here.

"A Feather Curler, the boy illigitimate"

Age 12 on 22/3/06

edit- a feather curler- curled feathers to prepare them for use in hat making etc

Edited by charlie962

24 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

20 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

It look more like 22/3/1893 to me

17 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You are right. Mar not May !

Excellent - I'd not seen that as dittos. Thanks

28 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

She was his mother. Address 1906    50 Osborne Villas Hove.  source School Rolls on FindmyPast here.

"A Feather Curler, the boy illigitimate"

Age 12 on 22/3/06

Can't get into FMP without paying. Can you give me more detail of the entry please?

When he enlisted he lived in East London - a bit of a leap.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Apart from living in East London prior to the Great War he seems to have spent most of the between the wars period in Hammersmith and had relatives Grace and Harold Enyer in Shepherd's bush.

Tried Ancestry with the 22.3.1893 Birthday - still no luck.

Agree with March rather than May.

The enumerator's 'Y's go well below the line.

Nurse? West Indies?

No relation of Seymour Nurse, Barbados & WIndies Test Cricketer?

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Agree with March rather than May.

The enumerator's 'Y's go well below the line.

Nurse? West Indies?

No relation of Seymour Nurse, Barbados & WIndies Test Cricketer?

I think there are a lot of people with the surname Nurse in the West Indies. In my working career I worked with two people named Nurse and both had Caribbean heritage.  

William himself appears of mixed race in a photo.

Have found a death registration for a William Nurse D.O.B 22/3/1894 in March 1986 in Surrey. 

Progress.

32 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

When he enlisted he lived in East London - a bit of a leap.

The detention order was for the North London Certified Industrial Truant School.

Non Compliance with an Attendance Order Sec xi-i     Industrial Schools Act 1866

To be detained until aged 14

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

The detention order was for the North London Certified Industrial Truant School.

Non Compliance with an Attendance Order Sec xi-i     Industrial Schools Act 1866

To be detained until aged 14

Amazing. I'd never heard of such a school. Interestingly he was very literate.

What's the link to Hove?

No idea but that is her address in the Truant School book ! Most of the other youngsters are Londoners.

There's a good bit of detail on the school here showing they took boys from all over the country.

I couldn't find the even number houses for the 1911 Census for Osborne Villas to see whether they were lodgings or whatever.

There is an 1905 electoral Roll for a Charlotte Nurse of 36 Westbourne St, Aldrington Hove. But would a feather curler be allowed to vote then ? This woman has property qualifications.

Charlie

54 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

I think there are a lot of people with the surname Nurse in the West Indies. In my working career I worked with two people named Nurse and both had Caribbean heritage.  

William himself appears of mixed race in a photo.

May be completely unrelated but I came across a UK wedding notice from the 1950's...Ronald Theodore Nurse...born in Trinidad.

Edited by sadbrewer

Yes I have the original photo. I may have put it on the Forum in another context.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

46 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

No idea but that is her address in the Truant School book ! Most of the other youngsters are Londoners.

There's a good bit of detail on the school here showing they took boys from all over the country.

I couldn't find the even number houses for the 1911 Census for Osborne Villas to see whether they were lodgings or whatever.

There is an 1905 electoral Roll for a Charlotte Nurse of 36 Westbourne St, Aldrington Hove. But would a feather curler be allowed to vote then ? This woman has property qualifications.

Charlie

Very interesting Charlie. I found a reference to the school and it seemed to imply they took children from 3 boroughs but there's probably nothing to stop a wider catchment. I'd never heard of feather curling before this.  

9 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Yes I have the original photo.

Is yours the pdf online?...A Black Soldier Goes to War?

4 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Is yours the pdf online?...A Black Soldier Goes to War?

Yes it is. I'd forgotten I did that for Step Short. 

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Thanks I found it again. I mainly put it on the Step Short website because we had a visit from a member of the House of Lords, who asked "What about the Muslim soldiers"? So I thought I'd do something to show that there was information about non white British soldiers as well including Walter Tull.

I'm now looking to research him a little deeper.