Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three British Soldiers Found in Biaches 2008

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this thread in the hope that someone could help me discover more information about three British Soldiers who were found in Biaches in 2008 during the construction of a new house. I contacted CWGC and I was informed that they were identified by their boots and that they were buried in Peronne Communal Extention. I was wondering if anyone else had any information about this and if there was anywhere I could locate more details on soldiers found around Biaches and La Maisonette in recent times?

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Must follow this evolving story..

Really interesting 

It is a really interesting story, I just wish there was more information around. I am looking at contacting the local Marie to try and find out a little more. I have made a list of soldiers who were missing in this location from The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment and obviously there are more who were missing from The 143rd Infantry Brigade (although most losses in this area in 1917 were from The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment) and obviously there is a factor to consider that this area was fought over in 1918 but I was hoping to try and piece some of this information all together to try and put some names to these soldiers. There is an account of a number of soldiers from The 1/5th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment being killed in a 'Post No. 5' so when I heard this news it all came back to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to write a quick update to this topic.

I have contacted both The CWWGC and The Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre Commemorations Team and been given the following information.

The partial remains of three British soldiers were discovered during the building of a new house in Biaches in 2008. The soldiers were identified as British due to their boots. These soldiers were reburied in 2011 in Peronne Communal Cemetery. No DNA data was taken and so I guess there will be very little which will help us discover the true identity of these men.

I am currently getting in touch with the Marie in Biaches to try and locate where the house was built and any further information which could provide me with some clues during this search.

Dear All,

'...this area was fought over in 1918...'

My grandfather was wounded on 1 September 1918 in the successful attack on Peronne (Pte Currey of 53rd Bn AIF won a VC).

He was Capt W. F. Lindsay, a Coy. Cdr. of 53rd Bn., and was subsequently awarded a Military Cross - one of 25 to the battalion for the Great War.

Kindest regards,

Kim.5afc7f1778c08_LieutW.F.Lindsayprob.onleaveinParisearly1918.jpg.22aa2a4da9370e1fc742baa6f52f9714.jpg.51f854bce509015781a2a10678a1b7a4.jpg5afc8cbc79359_Wounded1918CaptLindsay.jpg.30e5e029b223807512d273ed6e1c00f4.jpg.9a16b0ead44c9418c39c763317ec0db7.jpg5afc8ccd8a190_CaptWFLindsayca_1920.jpg.jpg.b1a25c8f3319e09dc4c9fa05a6783053.jpg.e40144c686a7e75bea1f9895b1ca20d9.jpg

Yes, Biaches was recaptured during the German offensives of 1918 and I believe there was some fighting around La Maisonette. I was hoping that some more evidence was avaliable to show which period of time these soldiers lost their lives as small clues could present a bigger chance of finding out who they are.