Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northamptonshire Regimental Numbers

maudson

My grasp of the Regimental numbering system has always been tenuous so excuse me if this is an obvious question. I am researching a Percy Reginald Wilson born on 7th October 1897. He served in MGC and was killed on 28th March 1918. An Ancestry transcription based on the Soldiers Who Died in WW! books.has Percy as formerly in the Northamptonshire Regiment.His Record of Service ("Enrolment Paper" crossed out and also his original number faded and crossed out) shows him allocated to the 3/4th Battalion Northants on 29/11/1916. The Regimental  Number for the Northamptonshires given by the Ancestry entry is 7461. Is this possible?

David

Numbers towards the end of the 4-Digit T.F. sequence are a bit difficult to track. I would say that that number is about right for the date. Some dates of transfers I have for similar numbers:

7310 13-11-1916

7493 30-11-1916

7659 15-11-1916

7685 19-12-1916

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

It is a T.F. 4-digit number that would have been converted to the 6-digit T.F. numbers in March 1917. Depending on when he transferred to the M.G.C. he may have had a 6-Digit Northamptonshire Regiment number, probably in the region of 202500-ish.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Thanks again Steve. I think he would have joined the MGC at about the time that the six-figure numbers came in so it seems likely he did not get one.

Best Wishes

David