Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please

Matt 71

I found this in my Grandmas photos only one of her Uncles fought in the Great war and he wasn’t in the Artillery, so I’m presuming it’s on my Grandads side he fought in ww2 and his brothers were a similar age to him hat rules them out. I’m thinking if anyone it may be his farther John Thomas Walmsley (Jack) born near Preston Lancashire 1883/1952 but he would be in his 30s and I can’t find anything about his military service if any, information on the photo would be gratefully received. Thanks

7EA9F3F4-2C91-4B2C-8329-7DE164A6C65E.jpeg

Great photo, and a very cute puppy, so …...'B' Sub sec 'B' Battery 120 Bde R.F.A.  …… may I suggest you go to IWM Lives (it's free/no registration) and search "Royal Field Artillery John Walmsley" and you will get 10 results to start eliminating ……. there appear to no Jacks 

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, Matt 71 said:

I’m thinking if anyone it may be his farther John Thomas Walmsley (Jack) born near Preston Lancashire 1883/1952

7EA9F3F4-2C91-4B2C-8329-7DE164A6C65E.jpeg

Nice photo. 

The family of John Thomas Walmsley (B.1883) opens up a whole host of possibilities. If I have the right family he had brothers named William, Richard and Joseph who all have possible matches in R.F.A. records.

23 minutes ago, Matt 71 said:

Thankyou I’m trying to find out his brothers names.

If he was from Bamber Bridge, they could be Joseph b 1889 and Frederick b 1890.

Edited by sadbrewer

If the photo predates 1915 then the man seated centrally with the puppy on his lap could be either the Battery Sergeant Major (BSM), or the Battery Quarter-Master Sergeant (BQMS), as both wore the same badges of rank.  If after that date, then he must be the latter, as the BSM became a warrant officer of the new, second class, and his badge changed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 years later...
On 30/05/2020 at 12:25, GWF1967 said:

Nice photo. 

The family of John Thomas Walmsley (B.1883) opens up a whole host of possibilities. If I have the right family he had brothers named William, Richard and Joseph who all have possible matches in R.F.A. records.

I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted , I’ve found out John Thomas Walmsley (born 1883) did have brothers William born1874  Richard born 1876 And Joseph born 1880 also a Edwin born 1889, their births were recorded at Stonyhurst near Hurst Green , where could I check the matches in the R.F.A records please?

23 hours ago, Matt 71 said:

where could I check the matches in the R.F.A records please?

Can't offer an idea in RFA records ... but I can suggest a trawl of MoP pension records at WFA/Fold3 might offer addresses and potentially relatives that strike a chord with you.

For example - I'm seeing:

WALMSLEY

John William - widow Annie and son Herbert Hawkshaw - Yeadon nr Leeds

Richard - Garstang, Preston

William Henry, 113387 - Preston

W. H. - 676220 - Preston

???

Good luck

M

Edited by Matlock1418
examples