Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original Mons clasp ?

Robert Wimpenny

A lot of these about, i have seen photos of many originals, fakes but also official replacements, can anyone kindly advise re the one in the photo

mons (2).jpg

Dear Steve,

Thank you for that.

Good work!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Steve for the article which appears to be quite definative on the subject. of genuine and fake calsps,

I am more a Family Historian rather than a Militaria enthusiast / collector, i will save the article to my research archives.

I have one I bought some years ago and I've had doubts. Thanks for the article Steve. I'll retire to my man cave shortly for some research!

Dave

You’re all welcome.

I didn’t want to express an opinion on the queried item though....:rolleyes:

Steve

Edit to add.

As the issue of the clasp and roses is recorded on the MIC the offer of a 1914 Star with a clasp that is not recorded on the MIC is a good indication of veracity of the clasp.

I obtained a copy clasp from a medal dealer for my gf 1914 Star many years ago as for some reason he didn’t apply for his clasp/rosettes. 

Edited by tullybrone

An excellent article. I haven't unearthed the only one I have to compare though it hasn't left the family (only 2 generations) so I think its original.

Robert, in what context do you ask about this particular clasp? Is it attached to a medal you own and you can't find verification that it is authentic to the star? Is the clasp something you are looking to purchase to add to a 14 star that should have a clasp ?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I am wanting to add it to a "representative grouping" for a family member who served and survived the War, he claimed and wore the medals but did not claim the clasp and rose that he was entitled to.

we have a lot of young family members who have a keen Interest in family history especially the Military side and activly commemerate our family members at rememberence day and also Anzac day.

I really appreciate the advice provided by the Forum and  "specific members" who have given us "the family"   Information and advice re further research.

Hi Simon,

Personally I think that you can be quite happy that this clasp (shown above) is an original and thus genuine issue.

It does however appear that the holes may have been opened slightly to facilitate the sewing of the clasp to the ribbon.

Robert

Edited by Old Owl

Old Owl - thanks for your comment, i believed the Item to be genuine and from an experienced and reputable seller, but as i am noit a collector decided to just get peace of mind.