Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Patch? Can you help

alkens

Could a kind person assist me? This patch on the top of the soldiers  arm is proving difficult for me to identify. 

The solider is with 20th London Regiment, but not sure if he is with the 1/20th, 2/20th or 3/20th reserve battalion.

These patches, are they called Battle Patches or Battalion patches?

Anyway help identifying if it's 1/20th , 2/20th or 3/20th would be welcomed.

Cheers.

Capture.JPG

The most common terms used seem to have been “Distinguishing Marks”, but “Battle Patch” also is mentioned apparently.  Although the cloth badges, or marks, did often identify a battalion, it was generally only first line battalions and the relatively few second line battalions sent to a theatre of war.  In this case both 1/20th and 2/20th deployed to F&F.  1/20th were in 141st Bde of 47th Div (James) and 2/20th who didn’t arrive in F&F (from Salonika) until Jun 1918, were for a short time in 198th Bde, 66th Div, before joining 185th Bde, 62nd Div.

Knowing the formations might help you to pin down the unit if you search for ‘images’ of these units online using a search engine.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 11 months later...

The 2/20th London’s wore a red triangle patch when in Egypt and Palestine. I think they may have also worn it for a while in the BEF before they went to Salonika. 

Chris

I think it was apex upwards on the pagri or steel helmet and downwards on the tunic. 

Edited by Drew-1918
Typo