Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trio of Medals - BWM, VM and 14/15 Star

GJW

Hi,

Does anybody know how much the above should fetch price wise? For an disbanded Irish Regiment? 

Thanks,

Gerard

Depends who the recipient was. There are umpteen variables that could affect the value,

Just now, peregrinvs said:

Depends who the recipient was. There are umpteen variables that could affect the value,

It is a random medal set of a private soldier was KIA. 

Thank you P.

May I ask what variables would affect the value generally?

Just now, GJW said:

Thank you P.

Regiment, date KIA, whether he was an original member or a later replacement, and which battles he may have fought in can all affect value.

If you have a look online, ebay etc, for similar medal groups you should get an idea of the price range

Thank you GWF. I will do!

Be careful about prices on eBay.  Some of the sellers are very knowledgeable but others have no idea how to value medals and are asking ridiculous prices.  Better to look at DNW or Spink auction prices or some of the major online dealers to get a reasonable value. 

5 hours ago, rflory said:

Be careful about prices on eBay.  Some of the sellers are very knowledgeable but others have no idea how to value medals and are asking ridiculous prices.  Better to look at DNW or Spink auction prices or some of the major online dealers to get a reasonable value. 

Yes, one can look at DNW and Spink prices but remember that bidders will have built in about 20% to cover their commission and fees. In addition, these auction houses have a large market place so will usually attract top bids on almost everything that they sell. I am going to put my head above the parapet here. Irish medals are very collectible. Casualty medals also add interest. If nothing else is special about the recipient and the circumstances of his death I would say £350 to £400. 

then there are the chancers on ebay, take it whichever way you want.. 

priced high as they think someone will one day have to pay that for it.

some priced high as they have seen something similar and think thats what theirs should be worth (without having done research).

those who make a mistake!!

there is currently a pair and plaque on the bay that was originally advertised around the £180 mark, its now been relisted at £1860. call it a typo or hope? he died of wounds less than a month before the end of the war, no major conflict at the time for an artilleryman apart from the start of the Battle of Courtrai.  he is buried around 100 miles from Courtrai,

service number quoted he hasnt even copied that correctly.

in this case I would expect £180 for KIA,slightly less for DOW especially with the locality, I doubt even a 1/7/16 casualty would command £1860.

without searching war diary or his records to justify, I suspect it will be a while before sale or greatly reduced..  you never know.

Cheers Lads. All your comments are most helpful and will bear all in mind.

Thank you!

Gerard

On 28/05/2020 at 23:19, GJW said:

also not mentioned..

Officers generally command a higher price than O/Rs.

other variables are if awarded a VC, GC, MM, MC, DSO or other higher medal , sometimes earlier conflicts (Boer war) may add interest. A SAD might add something, but I doubt my NCO giving evidence at a SAD trial would add any value.

Cheers Chaz, appreicated!

Gerard