Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Stott 52055 & 90666

pnewton84

Hi, we have just discovered my great grandad's service numbers 52055 (Manchester Regiment, 11th battalion) and 90666 (Royal Defence Corps).

I know little about him other than that. We have his pension record and medal card from online, and know that he was gases in the war.

I don't think that his army records are online as nothing is coming back from searches, but could someone confirm that for me please?

And if anyone has any other pointers on record that would be greatly appreciated!

You could check local papers too for info 

Nothing more than mic on fmp military records sorry 

Do you know anything else....date of birth, middle names, next of kin, addresses etc?

Edited by sadbrewer

The medal award roll gives his overseas service with 11 Manchesters from 1 Jan 1918 to 14 Apr 1918.  Their war diary can be downloaded free  at the moment from the National Archives at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352631  This at least will give an insight into his service in France.  The Royal Defence Corps was formed from men too old or unfit for the front line and was employed guarding vital installations and POW camps in UK.  He may well have been gassed/wounded in March/early April and evacuated then back to UK and after recovery, transferred to the RDC.

Max

Tom's pension card under #90666 has a birth date 1888

The only chap I can see with service is 1916 and b.1888 in Tintwistle, Cheshire

Dave

From FamilySearch

Thomas Stott SonEngland and Wales Census, 1911birth:1888Tintwistle, Cheshireresidence:1911Glossop, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdomfather:Tom Stott mother:Sarah Jane Stott other:

Jane Ellen Stott, Annie Stott, Agnes Stott, Ruth Stott, Joseph Stott, Florrie Stott

Many thanks for your replies :) Thomas Stott born 5th June 1887 (I think that 1888 reference is wrong), and he lived 75 Manchester Road, Shaw.

He married to Charlotte Jane Hunston 17 February 1912.

He worked in textiles: 1911 as a piecer mule, 1939 as a cotton spinner, and died 1963, buried September.

Thanks again for your help.

3 hours ago, pnewton84 said:

Many thanks for your replies :) Thomas Stott born 5th June 1887 (I think that 1888 reference is wrong), and he lived 75 Manchester Road, Shaw.

He married to Charlotte Jane Hunston 17 February 1912.

He worked in textiles: 1911 as a piecer mule, 1939 as a cotton spinner, and died 1963, buried September.

Thanks again for your help.

Whilst not Thomas' military service, this may help you pull a few things together...his father's funeral in April of 1920.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200528-214317.jpg

Screenshot_20200528-214537.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer