Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry?

David Hewitt

Hi Gentlemen, 

This is a picture of my great uncle Arthur Pond from East Retford, Notts....or we think it is! Would this headwear belong to HLI? I cannot understand how someone from Retford ended up in the HLI, he is listed again , on what I think is his medal entitlement as being with the Sherwoods, which makes more sence. He was born 1899 which would make him  16 on joining for if Ime correct he joined July 16. Any comments or info gratefuly received.

albert.jpg.5ae4f83bcd9bd3d55d616f43b2edd2b4.jpg

Edited by David Hewitt

This is the sequence per the Medal Roll, Courtesy Ancestry. He did not go overseas before the beginning of 1916 because he has no 14/15 Star entitlement.

146841143_GWFPondAHLISherwoodsRERoll.JPG.b9c0a8e0400c4b1ce31300da4484b98e.JPG

18th N&D and the 14th HLI were Bantams. Look at the Long Long Trail for a bit of history on these. Englishmen going to the HLI not unusual;

You will see those Bns had brief histories which might have initiated the transfer of Arthur. Return to 11th N&D may be connected with the timing of that Bn going to or returning from Italy. His RE number looks like a late 1918 issue or even 1919. (edit  I think c. July 1919)

Best route in absence of his service record, is to look at near numbers for each of his stages, thus getting an idea of when these changes took place and what those various units were up to that might have caused the move. I'll have a look later if someone else doesn' find the answers sooner.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Possible transfer dates:

32766 18th N&D    issued c Dec 1915  (Bn was in Aldershot)

29622 14th HLI     issued c March 1916  (Bn went to France in June 1916. Did Arthur go with them is the big question ? )

74385  11th N&D   issued  c Oct 1918  ( Bn was back in France at this time after a year in Italy. Arthur would be of legitimate age)

616184 RE    issued  c July 1919  (probably Rhine Army)

An example of a man who lied about his age and, having joined 18th N&D (no 32227), been trf'd to 14th HLI (29604) , found out and discharged is James Cowden .  Clearly used Bantams as part of excuse for being short ? This man claimed to be 19 when he was only just 16 !

Did Arthur Pond fib about his age and not get found out ? Was he kept back from going overseas until he reached correct age ? All questions to be answered.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

As has already been pointed out 18 N&D and 14 HLI were Bantam battalions.

18 N&D was disbanded about the end of March 1916/ beginning of April 1916, in theory (E.A. James) the remaining ORs went to 13 Yorkshire Regiment which was in the same brigade. (14 HLI was in 120 Brigade).

14 HLI was reduced to a training cadre in May 1918 (Westlake)

RM

22 hours ago, David Hewitt said:

Hi Gentlemen, 

This is a picture of my great uncle Arthur Pond from East Retford, Notts....or we think it is! Would this headwear belong to HLI? I cannot understand how someone from Retford ended up in the HLI, he is listed again , on what I think is his medal entitlement as being with the Sherwoods, which makes more sence. He was born 1899 which would make him  16 on joining for if Ime correct he joined July 16. Any comments or info gratefuly received.

The HLI did indeed wear that style of glengarry cap, which was dark green.  They also usually wore shoulder titles comprising a bugle-horn and letters.

105FE49D-E624-4E46-A966-8CAB47AE76B9.jpeg

027A3D27-C305-4EF4-A6DA-9852E15D601F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, rolt968 said:

18 N&D was disbanded about the end of March 1916/ beginning of April 1916, in theory (E.A. James) the remaining ORs went to 13 Yorkshire Regiment which was in the same brigade. (14 HLI was in 120 Brigade).

It was the disbandment of 18th N&D that triggered the move to HLI. There were a number of men who did this move- Pond, Cowden etc so James not entirely correct unless he really meant 'remaining ORs' after trfs to other Regiments !

17 hours ago, rolt968 said:

14 HLI was reduced to a training cadre in May 1918 (Westlake)

I'm still not certain how long Pond remained 14 HLI as he didn't become 11th N&D until Oct 1918. I suggest he may have been returned to UK at some stage as under age (like Cowden) but instead of being discharged was kept on say a Depot ?

Charlie