Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OX/9TH BN OXFORD QUIREY

rosalind

after months of researching I'm not further , the national archives have pointed me to this site .

I have inherited a pair of field binoculars supposedly from an ancestor in ww1 .scratched into the casing a is " I.PRIESTLEY OX/9TH BN OXFORD REGIMENT 

ON THE GLASSES IS SCRATCHED OX/9 CF/X.

I believe there is no such regiment its the OXFORDSHIRE & BUCKINGHAMSHIRE LIGHTINFANTRY ?

even extensive research does not come up with this name , I have also tried an L instead on an I even though the way it has been scratched in is a defiant  capitol 

can anyone give me nay advice please 

Hi Rosalind,

Welcome to GWF.

To help us all might it be possible for you to please post a few photos of the binoculars and close ups of any other markings - official as well as the scratched.

And of any case if there is one.

This may assist in confirming if of WW1 vintage and avoid any potential out of period confusion [e.g. WW2 etc.]

Thanks and good luck.

:-) M

Thanks for the photos - now the really much more knowledgeable than me can have a proper go.

As for chaplains - I could find no Priestley or Priestly interview cards at the Museum of Army Chaplaincy

Good luck.

:-) M

It is possible that I Priestley was the donor of the binoculars and that  OX/9  CF/T is the identity record so that they can be returned at the end of the war ?

Edited by charlie962

32 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

It is possible that I Priestley was the donor of the binoculars and that  OX/9  CF/T is the identity record so that they can be returned at the end of the war ?

I suppose anything is possible 

29 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Do you have any ancestors called Priestley, or who married into a family of that name?

not that I found yet no