Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books

Gareth Davies

What are your top 5 (or even 10) Great War books? By top I mean the ones you cherish, or desire, books that give you pleasure. 

Good question Gareth, I'll ponder that one when I've got sufficient caffeine in the system.......

Pete.

A Muse at Sea - Edward Hilton Young

Secrets of a Kuttite - E.O. Mousley

Grey Ghosts and Voices - May Wedderburn Cannan

On Four Fronts with the Royal Naval Division - Geoffrey Sparrow, MC And J N Macbean-Ross, MC, Surgeons RN

Greenmantle - John Buchan

In Parenthesis - David Jones

Bullets and Billets - Bruce Bairnsfather

The Fighting at Jutland - haven't got this one and would like it :)

The Siege - Russell Braddon

Men who March Away: poems of the First World War - Ian Parsons

Edited by seaJane

A couple of them have piqued my interest, thank you Jane.

In no particular order.....

The Price of Glory - Alastair Horne

The book that re-awakened my interest in WW1. And while I've come to question some of its conclusions it remains a favourite. I'm onto my third copy and they have all been to Verdun with me.
The 1st Day on the Somme - Martin Middlebrook

Having got to know Martin a little on a couple of trips to Verdun this is both a classic and reminds me of him. I know the battle of the Somme lasted more than one day and my interest is now away from the July 1st front line, but I find myself going back to it regularly. The story of 2nd Lt. Phillip Howe of the 19th West Yorks at Fricourt for example still amazes me.

The Quick and the Dead - Richard Van Emden

Probably the most emotionally affecting book about WW1 and its aftermath I've ever read. I can't begin to think what it must have been like to research and write. It touches on the enduring trauma of the war which is not a subject I've read a lot about.
Cheerful Sacrifice - Jonathan Nicholls

I've got more and more interested in the Arras battlefield and this one book brought it to life in one reading. There is one paragraph that I'm dubious about, the rest is superb.

Fragments from France - Bruce Bairnsfather

The originals from 1914 or Bullets and Billets, either is perfect.

I can guarantee that the list will have changed by the time I've had my first coffee tomorrow.

Pete.

I look forward to your post coffee thoughts tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

I look forward to your post coffee thoughts tomorrow.

Don't get your hopes up Gareth, and don't put anything important off in anticipation. Rearranging your sock draw might well be more intellectually simulating.

Pete.

Nothing of importance by Bernard Adams

First day on the Somme

As from Kemmel Hill by Arthur Behrend

The Ebb and Flow of Battle by P.J.Campbell

Soldier from the Wars Returning by Charles Carrington

Somme Harvest by Giles Eyre

There’s a Devil in the Drum by John Lucy

Old Soldiers never Die by Frank Richards

A Passionate Prodigality by Guy Chapman

The Winding Road Unfolds by T. S. Hope

• Admin

A life Apart-Alan Thomas

Before Action -Charlotte Zeepvat

Fifteen Rounds A Minute (Edited) JM Craster

Some Desperate Glory -Edwin Vaughan

A Fox Under My Cloak -Henry Williamson

Covenant With Death-John Harris 

The Complete Memoirs of George Sherston- Siegfried Sassoon 

Cambrai 1917- Bryn Hammond 

There A Devil In The Drum-John Lucy

Of Those We Loved-Dick Read

Some great titles there, thank you.

What about Regimental, Bde, or Div histories? Which are the stand outs?

Edited by Gareth Davies

Seajane

I have a spare modern reprint ot "The Fighting at Jutland", which I think replicates the original with all the contents.You are welcome to that and once life returns to normal I can drop it off to you at the Royal Dockyard. You are not going to get my original privately printed copy with the tipped in photos. That is a treasure.

At an earlier stage in life  I researchged one of the editors, Commander Harold Fawcett OBE, who was a younger son of a Bradford mill owning family. His four siblings also served, one KIA in Mesopotamia, one unfortunately mislayed an arm in Thiepval Wood on 01/07/1016, their one sister served in Egypt as a VAD, and the remaining brother having served with 1/6 West Yorks in the salient and on the Somme joined the Indian Army, and subsequently as as a brigadier lost his life in WW2 while being evacuated wounded  from Singapore when the ship carrying him away was sunk.

I have to find my spare copy, but its here somewhere.

Keith

1 hour ago, keithmroberts said:

I have a spare modern reprint ot "The Fighting at Jutland", which I think replicates the original with all the contents.You are welcome to that and once life returns to normal I can drop it off to you at the Royal Dockyard.

That would be wonderful - thanks!

1 hour ago, keithmroberts said:

You are not going to get my original privately printed copy with the tipped in photos

May I look at it some time? (I promise not to drool all over it ;) )

15 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

What about Regimental, Bde, or Div histories? Which are the stand outs?

For me:

11th Hussars (Lumley). Quite simply the best

23rd Division (Sandilands)

15th (Scottish) Division (Buchan)

4th Seaforth (Haldane)

52nd (Lowland) Division (Thompson)

Historical Records of the Cameron Highlanders, Vols III & IV

18th (King George V's Own) Lancers (Watson - covers 18th KGO Lancers and 19th Fane's Horse, Indian Army

Worcestershire Regiment (FitzM Stacke) An astounding piece of work

14th Hussars (Browne & Bridges)

Black Watch (Wauchope)

There are many, many others worthy of mention, particularly individual battalion histories, which tend (I used the 4th Seaforth as an example, but the 12th (Bermondsey)  East Surreys and 11th (Lewisham) West Kents are also fine examples), when good, to have more personal detail and better descriptions of individual actions and life behind the scenes. Rutter's 7th Royal Sussex is also a jolly fine book.

Thank you Steven, some great suggestions. I had a quick look at the prices and I am going to need to start saving. 

I have Thompson's 52nd Div - it's very good. 

Edited by Gareth Davies

Some, at least, are available from N&M, I suppose. I know the 11th Hussars isn't though.

Is your view of Stacke's history based on the content, or the physical book, which I have only ever seen one copy of, in Bethnal Green Children's Library, can you believe, when I was 9 or 10. It was, if I recall, a quality product.

It is a very good book. I can quite understand why the poor chap died (I think heart attack) shortly after completion. When you see some of the shoddy productions out there, The Worcesters did themselves proud.

21 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Seajane

I have a spare modern reprint ot "The Fighting at Jutland", which I think replicates the original with all the contents.You are welcome to that and once life returns to normal I can drop it off to you at the Royal Dockyard. You are not going to get my original privately printed copy with the tipped in photos. That is a treasure.

Keith

I have Fawcett’s own copy of the original Edition which was specially bound for him in vellum by the publishers. It was republished in 1930 with the number of accounts reduced from 60 to 45.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I have Fawcett’s own copy of the original Edition which was specially bound for him in vellum by the publishers. It was republished in 1930 with the number of accounts reduced from 60 to 45.

Now that is special indeed. I'm just chuffed to have one of the first edition at all as my budget is still quite modest.. There was a reprint with 45 accounts published quite soon after the original edition. I did have a copy, but moved it on once I was fortunate enough to find a decent copy of the original.

20 hours ago, seaJane said:

May I look at it some time? (I promise not to drool all over it

Surely. Once we are allowed movement again.

The Stacke book is partly available online, as a Naval & Military Press reprint.  Volume 2 is certainly sample pages only, Volume 1 appears to have more online pages available

Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War

Volume 1 https://books.google.com.au/books?id=VXa-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PP1

Volume 2 https://books.google.com.au/books?id=oHa-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA311 

Some of the books mentioned above are available online, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Western Front https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Western_Front, section Historical books online.

Also mentioned above

The Siege by Russell Braddon 1970. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library. Extra wording on cover The Forgotten Siege of Kut El Amarah, Mesopotamia, 1916 - A saga of heroism and military blunder, the greatest humiliation suffered by British Arms between Balaclava and Singapore.

Greenmantle by John Buchan 1916 Archive.org. Librivox Audio, catalogued Version 2. (Other files are available). Archive.org. Wikipedia

The Fighting at Jutland : the Personal Experiences of Sixty Officers and Men of the British Fleet April 1921. There was also an abridged edition with a similar title about Forty-five Officers and Men published September 1921. Both Archive.org.

The 11th Hussars (Lumley) book is available on the pay website TheGenealogist as part of the "Regimental Records & Histories" requiring a Diamond subscription.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

The Stacke book is a masterpiece of regimental history writing. Excellent - and copious - illustrations; numerous (admittedly all sketch, IIRC, but none the worse for that) maps which are all (?) pull out - i.e. they extend out from the body of the book for easy reference; extensive and useful foot notes; coherently narrated with clear references to the battalion under discussion in the margin; a superb index; the original all published on heavy 'art' type paper - the list goes on. The latter was, of course, its biggest problems - the binding of the original was often not up to the task and it weighs a ton. I got mine, excellently rebound, about twenty-five years ago and it was £100 then.

It is a book any self respecting bibliophile would rush to get. A digital version just would not come close to doing it justice. 

Stacke, of course, also contributed to the OH as one of Edmonds' team and IIRC (I am still in lockdown in distant France - now on my 12th week) was the lead writer of at least one of the volumes.

my 10 I most enjoyed?

Ghosts have warm Hands {will bird} 1968

Soul of the camp {set on the Norfolk coast near to where my parents had a caravan }1919

Letters of an Australian Army Sister Lemos Egypt France etc 1919

Surgery on Trestles {Mesopotamia 1916 Begg 1968

Old soldiers never Die, Richards 

The war the infantry knew,  surely the classic Great War  book ? Dunn 1938

War is war by EX private Ex

1914 Lyn Macdonald {the best of her series ?}

To the last ridge Downing 1920

The journal of Private Fraser 

there are others but these spring to mind 

With regards to unit histories I now very much tend to collect the small and scarce as they tend to contain much more information regarding those who  served a complete roll of, names and in many cases home addresses all casualties  etc Siege battery histories  Histories of Ambulance units etc 

The ones that I think stand out are the 1/6 and 2/6 West Yorkshire The Cameron Highlanders great war volumes Stacke Worcestershire regiment and 16th Canadian Scottish  

That's a hard one... 

OK, here goes: 

John Keegan - The First World War. 

HAS to be in this list, as it was the first book I ever read on the Great War.

Vera Brittain - Testament of Youth

Vera still epitomizes to woman in the FWW for me. She is THE example of how women of that time transformed and took the war to heart, going so far as to immerse themselves in the suffering and for some, pay the ultimate price.

Lyn McDonald - They called it Passchendaele

This was my first encouter with Third Ypres, even before turning to the "textbooks". There's a story here too... I once copied out a few chapters and gave them to read to a small group of recruits. The weather reports had been bad and these three fell "ill" just on the day of the evening/night road march that was planned. I could of course not go against doctor's orders but gave them each a chapter to read (the worst of course, with loooots of rain and mud), nicely stuck in their warm beds while their comrades were out getting soaked following me on the road march. Next day they were better and were never ''ill" again at the approach of bad weather... I also got my ass kicked by Coy Cdr for good measure because apparently what I did was not nice at all... 

Neil Hanson - The Unknown Soldier

also one the earliest WWI books I bought, and one that stuck and to which I go back on quite regular basis for reference, or just to get some perspective... 

Edwin Vaughn - Some desperate Glory

That does not need any explanation... must be one of the rare occasions I had to take care of some dust in my eye after reading...

M. 

I have quite a lot which I dip into, and quite a few in French  about the war in Alsace and the Vosges, but these on the list below I have read more than once. I'm afraid I don't do military histories, Ypres or the Somme, apart from enjoying the Lyn Macdonald books and certain others which users of this forum generally despise. The first three are riveting, harrowing, sobering insights into the French experience.

Gabriel Chevallier Fear / La Peur

Louis Barthas - Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker, 1914-1918

Robert Pellissier - A Good Idea of Hell - Letters from a Chasseur à Pied [Pelissier served in the Vosges]

David Jones - In Parenthesis

Peter Barham - Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War

Edited by Dragon
Typo

Quite a few to choose from, however here are some favourites; 

The Fateful Battle Line                        - Captain Henry Ogle

Last Man Standing                              -  Norman Collins

They Called it Passchendaele             - Lyn MacDonald

There’s a Devil in the Drum                 - JF Lucy

London Scottish                                 - Mark Lloyd
The White War                                    - Mark Thompson

Fire and Movement                            - Peter Hart