Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Quadrilateral (Heidenkopf Redoubt)

saw119

I just can't seem to locate this area on maps. Is it somewhere near Pendant copse? I'm looking at the 4th Div attack on 1st July 16, specifically the 1/8 Warks. Can anyone give me a guide please?

Saw,

There are a few threads on the forum regarding the Warwicks on 1/7/16.

Pendant Copse was a little out of the 4th Division area but please see attached maps, first one from the Divisional diaries, Pendant Copse top right hand corner, 2nd one from the Rifle Brigade History.

Andy

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.21.10.png

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.16.03.png

@stiletto_33853 & @WhiteStarLine both of your posts are exactly what I was looking for. I have all the relevant info, war diaries etc, but for some reason just couldn't find the exact location of the Quadrilateral. Many thanks for your help.

@Don RegianoThese sites always look so innocuous in modern photographs. That's another very exposed and open area of land to cover.

12 minutes ago, saw119 said:

These sites always look so innocuous in modern photographs.

Too true. It's also the location of Wilfred Owen's traumatic first command in January 1917; this thread covers where the bunker that inspired 'The Sentry' was located.

Pete.

@ZIL that's great. I feel happy now that I can look at a map and recognise the shape of the redoubt. 

Thanks all.

Thank you so much for these maps! I have been researching The 143rd Infantry Brigade and more specifically The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment up until March 1917 and it still seems that they were suffering from the effects that they experienced on Saturday 1st July 1916.