Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I recently acquired this rifle, and was hoping to learn more about it, particularly about the regimental markings on it. Other than a Turkish bolt and rear sight, I do not believe it has any Turkish markings. I was also wondering if in the photo of the cleaning rod if the brass was field repair. Other than a small spot of solder on the very front of the barrel shroud to presumably cover up a hole, there are no other non-arsenal modifications. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

20200527_174725.jpg

20200527_174807.jpg

20200527_174854.jpg

20200527_175935.jpg

Edited by SheetMetalRifile

Hello! Welcome to the forum

There are others who are better informed on unit markings than I so I'll pass there...apart from to say 266 is probably the weapon number.(oh ok my GUESS is Bavarian ? 12 Reserve Infantry Regiment? 10th Kompany, 266 rifle?) I await correction!

The rifle has been modified to use the Spitzer (pointed bullet) 7.92 (that is the significance of S stamp and the slight notch in the receiver ring). The S-patrone was introduced in 1903 I think so this is a modification to your 1893 rifle

Would some overall pics of the rifle be possible looks like a nice example.

I can't actually make out the brass on the cleaning rod very clearly- but IIRC one of my Gew 88s has brass showing on the rod tip so I don't know if that is a field repair or if the tip is cast in brass and then coated and the coating wears off (jags etc are often made of brass as it is less likely to damage the bore (being softer).

Best

Chris

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

Hello! Welcome to the forum

There are others who are better informed on unit markings than I so I'll pass there...apart from to say 266 is probably the weapon number.(oh ok my GUESS is Bavarian ? 12 Reserve Infantry Regiment? 10th Kompany, 266 rifle?) I await correction!

The rifle has been modified to use the Spitzer (pointed bullet) 7.92 (that is the significance of S stamp and the slight notch in the receiver ring). The S-patrone was introduced in 1903 I think so this is a modification to your 1893 rifle

Would some overall pics of the rifle be possible looks like a nice example.

I can't actually make out the brass on the cleaning rod very clearly- but IIRC one of my Gew 88s has brass showing on the rod tip so I don't know if that is a field repair or if the tip is cast in brass and then coated and the coating wears off (jags etc are often made of brass as it is less likely to damage the bore (being softer).

Best

Chris

Here are some more pictures. Can anyone explain the meaning of the dot above the s? As seen in the photos, the stock is very well used and dented, but there are very few chips and zero cracks in it.

20200527_204518.jpg

20200527_204551.jpg

20200527_204533.jpg

20200527_204611.jpg

20200527_204745.jpg

Here are some more. Also what was the purpose of having two slots in the cleaning rod, rather than one like a modern rod?

20200527_204859.jpg

20200527_204642.jpg

20200527_204816.jpg

20200527_204651.jpg

3 hours ago, SheetMetalRifile said:

Here are some more pictures. Can anyone explain the meaning of the dot above the s? As seen in the photos, the stock is very well used and dented, but there are very few chips and zero cracks in it.

20200527_204611.jpg

do you have Ottoman acceptance marks on it?

Assaf

10 hours ago, SheetMetalRifile said:

... Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

20200527_174725.jpg

20200527_174807.jpg

20200527_174854.jpg

8 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

(oh ok my GUESS is Bavarian ? 12 Reserve Infantry Regiment? 10th Kompany, 266 rifle?) I await correction!

Nice to have such a clear stamp! Chris is spot on, Kgl. Bayer. 12. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment, 10 Komp., Waffe 266. The style is correct for the period up to 1909.

To the best of my knowledge the dot over the 'S' has no significance.

Julian

7 hours ago, assafx said:

do you have Ottoman acceptance marks on it?

Assaf

No, It does not.

4 hours ago, SheetMetalRifile said:

No, It does not.

This is a bit strange because your sight might suggest that it was used by the Ottoman army (unless i read it wrong). If i am right this might have been part of the support that Germany sent to the Ottomans.

I hope @trajanmight have more insights.

The Gew.88 went through several changes. 
yours show 2 at a glance. With the spritzer bullets, beside an The “S” stamped on top of chamber for that improvement, it also has dished cut-out at top back of chamber because  the slightly longer spritzer rounds were just catching that back part of chamber.

2nd, using stripper clips in a hurry, soldiers complained of catching and or cramping their thumb on the receiver wall after extended shooting.A narrow / shallow cut out was made to new rifles. Thumb relief,/ thumb cut ect. That one, the one you shoe, I believe was short lived, as a final version with a deeper, more pronounced thumb cut out was quickly made. That would make yours a little more scarce

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but this rifle is actually a Gewehr 88/05 and as such has had quite a few modifications from the original rifle that left the Amberg factory in 1893.

As Chris has noted it has been upgraded to accept the S-Patronen which is the pointed Spitzer ammunition. It has also received a barrel upgrade with the modified barrel contours and rifling to suit the S-Patronen. This is what the Dot above the chamber signifies. So the S.dot is a commonly seen marking on the earlier rifles that went through the system. 

As for the 88/05 designation this involved the upgrading of the weapon for charger loading with the charger guides placed over the receiver. The magazine was also modified internally and a sheet steel plate attached to the bottom to cover the slot.

With the addition of the backsight stamped with the Ottoman numerals this rifle was most likely sent out to Turkey as military assistance during the war. They did not always receive any further Ottoman acceptance marks.

Cheers, SS 

5 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

With the addition of the backsight stamped with the Ottoman numerals this rifle was most likely sent out to Turkey as military assistance during the war. They did not always receive any further Ottoman acceptance marks.

Cheers, SS 

Thank you for clearing that up. do you think that as the war progressed they even skipped over changing the backsight?

On 28/05/2020 at 03:55, SheetMetalRifile said:

Here are some more pictures.

20200527_204611.jpg

20200527_204745.jpg

No problem with those Ottoman numbers so yes Ottoman use! Also, as SS notes, an 88/05.

Now what about this 1914 mark, or, rather, the symbol above it? I know I have seen it before but I can't remember where or what it means...

FYI: The Ottoman High Command asked Germany sometime before May 1916 for a supply of Gew.98. They received some but Germany began to send out instead 'retired' Gew.88/05 (possibly Gew. 88/14 also). The exact numbers are unclear - possibly around 220,000 in all during a roughly 17 month period. I have always assumed these came with ‘Ersatz’ bayonets, which is why there were so many in Turkey until the 1970’s.

Julian

13 hours ago, trajan said:

Now what about this 1914 mark, or, rather, the symbol above it? I know I have seen it before but I can't remember where or what it means...

Julian

It's a manufacturers mark - I looked it up once but I can't for the life of me remember what - I think it is a German company which pre war manufactured tinplate toys and such. I have an identical one on my 88/05. I am pretty sure it was identified in a thread on here too - I shall go in search.

Chris

Ahhha --- here it is in ref to my very similar rifle.

Edited by 4thGordons
add link

25 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

It's a manufacturers mark - I looked it up once but I can't for the life of me remember what - I think it is a German company which pre war manufactured tinplate toys and such. I have an identical one on my 88/05. I am pretty sure it was identified in a thread on here too - I shall go in search.

Chris

Ahhha --- here it is in ref to my very similar rifle.

Thanks Chris!!! The moment I read the 'tinplate toys' it started to come back!

Julian 

• 2 months later...

the s with a dot shows its been altered to accept the new cartridges as your rifle is the 1888/14 the new rounds were higher pressure and slightly longer hence the small cut out just below the date stamp and the 14 dated cover under where the clip would be ejected out the bottom on the old system