Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ww1 unit mystery cap badge

Ruth Heather Burt

Hi I have photos of this lovely chap but can’t decide which regiment/ corps he was in. The cap badge looks like a crown only . I thought it might be the cycle corps because of the bike but it’s a different badge also because of the lanyard . Please could anyone enlighten me. 
His name is Joe Clark and he was writing to my great  aunt who never married until her sixties .The address on the photo card is Gargreave Farm , Kirkby In Furness. Would love to know who he is. Thank you.

E3CD01DC-E086-4444-871F-7740F8EF3770.jpeg

0E55CCB9-8C7E-4CC9-B95C-C0A7F4D23984.jpeg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Ruth. Can you scan rather than photograph the image if possible? It may be KOYLI, but a sharper image might help.

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle do you mean scan on my printer ? Also who were the KOYLI ?

Brand new to this forum only found it yesterday so a lot to learn and look at.

• Admin

Yes a scan on a flat bed. KOYLI-Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. 

Michelle 

Given the size and shape of the badge and the fact that he has a regulation bicycle I would hazard a guess that he is Army Cyclist Corps.

ACC.jpg

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

It’s just a tad too small to be KOYLI, although the shape is similar, so totally understandable.

I think that Phil is right and we need to examine the yeomanry possibilities.  A decent scan will make a huge difference.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1st off, I agree that a better picture is required. However I do have a contender (partially thanks to PhilB - but it was where my thoughts were also heading). I'm not 100% convinced but what about the 2/1st of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (Yeomanry).

Rgh-badge.png

(Image from wiki and of the previous version of the badge but I believe the latter version was similar)

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

1st off, I agree that a better picture is required. However I do have a contender (partially thanks to PhilB - but it was where my thoughts were also heading). I'm not 100% convinced but what about the 2/1st of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (Yeomanry).

(Image from wiki and of the previous version of the badge but I believe the latter version was similar)

Much too big a badge I'm afraid.

The badge worn in you photo is very small and of a simple shape that was worn by a number of different yeomanry regiments that makes it particularly difficult to ID.

Glos Hussars.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

47 minutes ago, Ruth Heather Burt said:

Sorry cant improve on this image

The yeomanry cavalry (who provided many cyclist units) were auxiliary, citizen soldiers who were recruited and based locally.  Can you give any local association for the photo, even where you got it would help?

I tired tweaking the contrast and sharpening slightly - also reduced some of the glare and converted to B/W in the hope it would reveal a little more detail.

The badge appears to me to be in the form of a crown? (or possibly 3 feathers? but I see no scroll under it visible)

badgetry.jpg.33dc666e46a98a0233d175f1e37871b6.jpg

If it matters the picture may be pre war or very early war as he is equipped with a Lee Metford rifle (or possible a Metford converted to Enfield rifling but note the deep single stack magazine and grasping grooves on stock and under cutout)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
add observation

Hi joe was writing to my great aunt  Martha Holliday. She was a farmers daughter from Howe stone farm ,Grayrigg , Westmorland. Like lots of girls She left home to work as farm servant/dairy maid. The civilian photo Of joe was taken in Kendal. 

The photo card Of joe has Martha’s name on it asking her to send a photo of herself. The address is Gargrieve Farm, Kirkby in Furness which is near Barrow. He is wearing the same watch chain in both photos.CC610B18-D4D9-400E-B185-BFAFF808A5A1.jpeg.2a3cebb829dcf34a955f5d628a04c354.jpeg in Furness. I don’t know if he was working at the farm or her. I cannot find Martha on the 1911 census  but with the sufferage movement many women didn’t put their names on the census! Martha was a bit of a rebel.She never married until 1958. Joe is not named on the war memorials in Kendal. Kirkby in Furness or Grayrigg. 

Thank you for your suggestions definitely will keep searching. Sadly all the ladies who would know are no longer with us.

Just a stab in the dark but I'm sure he's wearing a cap cover in the photo, if so then I am wondering if he was in the Royal 1st Devonshire Yeomanry. Their cap badge was the lion and crown and it could be that the crown is showing but the lion is buried under the edge of the cap cover. As I say, just a guess for what it's worth.  Pete.

This is also a guess but wouldn't a cap cover be more likely to obscure the top part of the badge meaning the crown wouldn't be visible but the lion would? I also can't spot an obvious cap cover.

Simon

3 minutes ago, mancpal said:

This is also a guess but wouldn't a cap cover be more likely to obscure the top part of the badge meaning the crown wouldn't be visible but the lion would? I also can't spot an obvious cap cover.

Simon

Simon, the badge I refer to is the crown surmounted by the lion, similar to the pattern worn by staff officers.  Pete.

sorry, I assumed the crown to be uppermost. Still can't make out cap cover.

Simon

FWIW I don't believe he is wearing a cap cover either.

Chris

I just think if a cap cover was to be worn then if anything of the cap badge were to be visible at all it would be the lower part (scroll etc.). I see on the photo the upper section reflecting light while the lower portion is in shade. 

The kit on the bike is also of interest. I'd like to know if anyone can identify the roll on the front (cape?), the pouch under the crossbar (cycle repair kit?) and the item on the rear rack.

Has he also got something like a map case beneath his left arm? At first I thought it to be part of his tunic but it is too square to be that.

Simon

2 hours ago, Ruth Heather Burt said:

Sorry cant improve on this image7DD1B59C-F898-48F4-BBD1-F23656D742A2.jpeg.ade081010e5c8c688e978b41896020ee.jpeg

Any chance you could retake this picture but turn the photo the other way around so the glare (I assume overhead light or window light or maybe even flash) is on the bicycle wheels and the cap and head are away from the glare. The photograph looks clear and well focused and I think with a less glare (a scan rather than a photo would be ideal) this unit could probably be identified.

re the other item on the cap I wondered if it might be a paper flag/pin (as in flag day fundraisers) perhaps in the form of a union flag? Again this may be clearer without the glare and the way it accentuates the surface texture of the paper.

Chris