Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Thurston

Jools mckenna

Recently bought a set of drawings from around the 1910s, and the Seller mentioned that Gordon Thurston was the Uncle (if she recalled correctly) of one of her Friends called L----- Thurston, and she mentioned she thinks he might of served in WW1. Unfortunately, she could only remember possibly what the connection between Gordon and her friend L----- was. She did mention that L-----’s dad was originally from London.

So what we’re looking for is a Gordon Thurston (likely used no middle names as surely he would’ve at least used the initial of his middle name/names in his signature), who lived in/around the London area and who had a brother who went on to having a daughter called L----- (when he was around 50ish btw)

I have found 1 MICs on ancestry for Gordon Thurston and 1 for Gordon W Thurston. The former was in the 1/3rd battalion London regiment (Royal Fusiliers) and was killed in August 1917(unfortunately no family/address info on his CWGC entry) and the Gordon W Thurston was in the RFC and the Tank Corps unfortunately no hint where he came from his accessible to me. Any help unraveling this mystery with not much clues would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I won’t be leading people into a wild goose chase. Really isn’t much info to go on unfortunately.

IMG.jpg

• Admin

There is a POW enquiry for your Royal Fusilier 251514 reported missing 16/8/1917.  The enquiry was made by a Mrs Flora Hughson (obviously negative result)

In the 1911 Census he appears to be living at Victoria Dwellings Battersea

(SDGW gives Gordon's residence as Battersea)

Father Edward  a butler/domestic
Mother Jessie

Gordon aged 13  b.1898
Edward 11
Ian  10
Flora aged 7
Marjorie 5
Douglas 1
Mother in law Laing

Clearly this Flora would only be 14 in 1917 so could not be the enquirer.  I think she was probably Flora Louisa Hughson b.Suffolk, can't see the relationship at present.

The L's dad's name might help or even the name of the daughter

Ken

@kenf48 Unfortunately, I enquired to find out L's dad's name but unfortunately she(the seller) didn't remember. L's name was Lousie. 

I know ,unfortunately, nothing else apart from Lousie (Thurston was her maiden name) unfortunately contracted cancer(and presumably died).

Edited by Jools mckenna

52 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

There is a POW enquiry for your Royal Fusilier 251514 reported missing 16/8/1917.  The enquiry was made by a Mrs Flora Hughson (obviously negative result)

In the 1911 Census he appears to be living at Victoria Dwellings Battersea

(SDGW gives Gordon's residence as Battersea)

Father Edward  a butler/domestic
Mother Jessie

Gordon aged 13  b.1898
Edward 11
Ian  10
Flora aged 7
Marjorie 5
Douglas 1
Mother in law Laing

Clearly this Flora would only be 14 in 1917 so could not be the enquirer.  I think she was probably Flora Louisa Hughson b.Suffolk, can't see the relationship at present.

The L's dad's name might help or even the name of the daughter

Ken

When Gordon Thurston was missing, he was described in Aberdeen newspapers as being the eldest grandson of a Mrs Laing. Confirms you have the correct man.

Edited by IPT

• Admin
1 hour ago, IPT said:

When Gordon Thurston was missing, he was described in Aberdeen newspapers as being the eldest grandson of a Mrs Laing.

Thanks, we still don't know if he drew the picture, but that at least, as you say,  shows the relationship of 251514 Thurston.

2 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

L's name was Lousie

Surely not, interesting how the same names seem to be cropping up though

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2020 at 17:04, kenf48 said:

Surely not, interesting how the same names seem to be cropping up though

I've asked the seller again and she said Lousie's dad's name might of been Douglas, so we might have the correct Gordon