Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

German Cemetery Bazentin le Petit

Hi seen mention of this and wondered if anyone knows where it was or even got pictures of it? Want to visit area next March.

Tony

There's one or two to be found on delcampe.

Jan

A certain Wilhelm Wickertsheimer make a watercolour of the cemetery. His work was shown at an exhibition in Lahr im Scharzwald in 2018.

Tragedy and confusing beauty, exhibition in time.
From 23.07. Until October 15, 2018, an exhibition of the approximately 80 watercolors by Wilhelm Wickertsheimer, which he painted during his assignment as a soldier in the Battle of the Somme, will be held under this title to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

and nr 22 in the exhibition was titled:

"Bazentin le Petit", June 1915. Cemetery.  Here are buried soldiers of RIR 99, 110, 111 and Artl. Reg. 29 "

here for the poster of the exhibition, and here for some of his work.

Bazentin le Petit and Bazentin le Grand (judging from Google maps the difference is 1 or 2 houses) were levelled in WW1, so doubt there are any traces left.

Thanks guys

Tony

12 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Did you make any progress with this, Tony?

HI Ken , seen a couple of pics but still not sure of the actual location?

Hope you are well.

Tony

I have found in one search it was at the south east corner of the village.It contained the grave of five British soldiers who died in 1918 later relocated to Delville Wood Cemetery .No further details to date.

Zil

38 minutes ago, ZIL said:

I have found in one search it was at the south east corner of the village.It contained the grave of five British soldiers who died in 1918 later relocated to Delville Wood Cemetery .No further details to date.

Zil

Great , do you have any names of the British soldiers?

Tony

Tony...No..but I will try and find out...the initial problem is the numbers in Delville Wood...and when these lads were exhumed ..but I’m always up to a challenge .

Zil

1 hour ago, ZIL said:

Tony...I think these are what you require..Zil7FD089AA-415E-490A-8BCE-E5D762D91E8D.jpeg.1f80ecca2d7d0c447f024319e351d02f.jpeg

Thanks that's great

Tony

Tony...the reference for the location is 57C S8 d 5.3. This is a cropped 57C dated 7.10.16. It puts the cemetery approx in the U shaped area above B.M.131.3.Zil497B0A9A-2FD9-45C0-A549-AB078A86218F.jpeg.b8c7cbbd61e6f3e7139d76bfe75d1054.jpeg

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Interesting, - so roughly where the red marking shows below. If a contemporary photo comes to light then please post it.

Tom

1157029721_Bazentin-le-PetitGermanCem.JPG.37be51fdd850fc0e429ae4ff30678df8.JPG

Thanks guys really interesting,

tony

2 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Interesting, - so roughly where the red marking shows below. If a contemporary photo comes to light then please post it.

Tom

1157029721_Bazentin-le-PetitGermanCem.JPG.37be51fdd850fc0e429ae4ff30678df8.JPG

and, if I remember correctly, ths lesser known crucifix in Bazentin is located in the trees just outside your red circle:

DSC03145.JPG

The burial return says the British dead were exhumed and reburied by the French authorities in the early 20s, presumably as part of the general dissolution of the whole cemetery and removal of the German burials to a concentration cemetery.  Does anyone know where the Germans were reburied ... Fricourt? 

8 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

and, if I remember correctly, ths lesser known crucifix in Bazentin is located in the trees just outside your red circle:

DSC03145.JPG

Thanks been passed there many times will have a look next time!

Tony

1 hour ago, SiegeGunner said:

The burial return says the British dead were exhumed and reburied by the French authorities in the early 20s, presumably as part of the general dissolution of the whole cemetery and removal of the German burials to a concentration cemetery.  Does anyone know where the Germans were reburied ... Fricourt? 

Indeed, the Germans were reburied in Fricourt.

18 minutes ago, ZIL said:

German field hospital.. Bazentin le Petit 1918 German official photographer ©️IWM Q4546..ZilDACC7AE8-AED7-4B28-B3AF-A71B709F7C96.jpeg.6daa2e5d3d2912915f08770af4ea88a3.jpeg

The correct reference is Q45486. The cemetery at Bazentin le Petit was older than 1918, although there was a new one in 1918 (or possible the Germans extended the ewisting older cemetery.

There is a photo of the cemetery in the Ivan Bawtree collection at IWM-Q100808. There is a copy of it in Jeremy Gordon -S miths book Photographing the Fallen page 111.

Edited by dickaren
Spelling

I found this one as wel from Bazentin-le-Petit from one of the famous German series (this pic is O.56 from the O series Kaiserschlacht Somme ).

Jan

O.56 (a).jpg

Edited by AOK4