Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

badge or not badge

battle of loos

good morning,

I would like to know if the lily flower is an arm badge or not.

DSC_0001.JPG.2c0492d1affb11656dbb64c159c1b167.JPGDSC_0002.JPG.79399f7e582167514cd6a08e4bc7e6b9.JPG

The heading badge on the left is there to give an idea of the size.

thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Michel

Hello, the brass fleur-de-lis was to indicate the soldier was a qualified <<éclaireur>>. I would imagine there will be some answers with greater detail about this. It is no coincidence that the fleur-de-lis also has an association with the Boy Scout movement that Lord Baden Powell created.

The leaves on your fleur-de-lis seem pointed, whereas those on the scout badges I have seen have rounded tips.

Some threads on the subject

Although a similar shape I don’t think it is the British Army issue ‘Scout’ badge.

D5289680-A3AD-4168-BE40-AE97AF5A7B39.jpeg

991926F3-FD4F-4009-8D6D-EEE388813176.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

good mornng,

thank's for your answer.

this badge is only used by the cavalry or infantry as well.
personally, this is the first time I see this type of badge.

Michel

3 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good mornng,

thank's for your answer.

this badge is only used by the cavalry or infantry as well.
personally, this is the first time I see this type of badge.

Michel

The badge was designed by Colonel (later Lord) Baden Powell in the period after the 2nd Boer War because he wanted to encourage British cavalry and infantry soldiers to learn the skill of making best use of ground to advance stealthily, observe enemy movement, and report back to superiors.  He did this after being impressed by the abilities of Boer Farmers, who being virtually raised in the saddle, were especially skilful in that regard.  He must have especially liked the symbol of the fleur-de-lis as he later used it again as a badge for the Boy Scout movement that subsequently spread across the world.

There were two badges, one with the cross at base (1st class scout) and one without the cross (2nd class scout).

F90EF5AA-11A7-4407-8E63-49A70B4CD66A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, aim said:

The badge in post 4 looks really big and shiny, so the enemy could see it a mile off!

aim

Brass arm badges, and buttons, etc. were allowed to grow dull when in the trenches and only polished when out of the line.  Most photos that you see of men wearing shiny buttons and other insignia were taken at home.  If you examine photos taken in the line you will be unlikely to find any shiny badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The badge was designed by Colonel (later Lord) Baden Powell in the period after the 2nd Boer War because he wanted to encourage British cavalry and infantry soldiers to learn the skill of making best use of ground to advance stealthily, observe enemy movement, and report back to superiors.  He did this after being impressed by the abilities of Boer Farmers, who being virtually raised in the saddle, were especially skilful in that regard.  He must have especially liked the symbol of the fleur-de-lis as he later used it again as a badge for the Boy Scout movement that subsequently spread across the world.

There were two badges, one with the cross at base (1st class scout) and one without the cross (2nd class scout).

F90EF5AA-11A7-4407-8E63-49A70B4CD66A.jpeg

Good evening,

Thank you for your explanation.

Kind regards

Michel

I wonder if what forum user "battle of loos" has discovered could be an attempt to make a copy of a scout badge, something akin to trench art? It is similar in appearance, but not identical to the pattern of the 2nd class scout badge.

Fleur.png

27 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I wonder if what forum user "battle of loos" has discovered could be an attempt to make a copy of a scout badge, something akin to trench art? It is similar in appearance, but not identical to the pattern of the 2nd class scout badge.

Yes, I don’t think that’s impossible, it is very similar.  There might be a slight difference between manufacturers and the position of the loops on the rear matches too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

on my copy, we can clearly see the trace of the welds for the lugs of attachment.

DSC_0002.JPG.79399f7e582167514cd6a08e4bc7e6b9.jpg.b0b3ee2dff9c7cdf5fa66dc80f4597f5.jpg

regards

michel

17 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

on my copy, we can clearly see the trace of the welds for the lugs of attachment.

regards

michel

Yes, I think that is correct Michel.

Edited by FROGSMILE