Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6 D.L.I.

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from Sherwood Forest. 

Many years ago it used to be possible to purchase British WW1 identity discs very cheaply. 

Recently I have been researching these. One pair that I have is interesting in that they only

have the man's name and religion, J.W. Barnes  C E.

Along with them is a privately produced disc on a strap, the strap being made from a chin strap

complete with buckle.  The details are Pte. J. W. Barnes 93657  2/6 D.L.I.   C of E.

I have been able to find no information at all about this man.  These discs were purchased in Nottingham,

I read some time ago that a number of men were transferred from 21st Battalion Notts & Derby Regiment

to the 2/6 D.L.I.  I wonder if Private Barnes was one of them.  

Any information gratefully received.

Hope you good folk are keeping safe from the Plague and that life will soon get back to normal.

Old Robin Hood

DSC02016.JPG.e9937f185552668f570fd9f80970a430.JPGDSC02017.JPG.ddae94bb9002855a4c23bb20b2e26476.JPG

I do not have access to FindMyPast but there are Service Records available there for James William Barnes - born 1896 - enlisted 1915 - Millfield, Durham.

Dave

Greeting Dave

Very many thanks ,great help.

Robin