Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Pals' Battalions

Pea Shooter

I thought that I read some where there were 145 Pal regiments in WW1. Is there a list of the Pal Regiments? Thank you, Vaughn.

32 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Google is your friend

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pals_battalions

mind you I think the Stockbrokers might be upset to be called ‘Pals’

they were locally raised Battalions 

Agreed, as someone who has looked in to it quite somewhat the term means different things to different people. However the quoted list is a good place to start.

P

Would it not be good to correct the reference to "regiments" when what is meant is battalions within regiments ?

Tom

• kenf48 changed the title to 'Pals' Battalions
  • Admin
14 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Would it not be good to correct the reference to "regiments" when what is meant is battalions within regiments ?

Tom

Done

Locally raised company sized units and placed within service battalions were also sometimes referred to as Pals. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Locally raised company sized units and placed within service battalions were also sometimes referred to as Pals. 

I think we'll stick with battalions, often the companies were because they could not raise enough men for a battalion in spite of good intentions.

3 hours ago, kenf48 said:

I think we'll stick with battalions, often the companies were because they could not raise enough men for a battalion in spite of good intentions.

Not sure that i would be quite so fast as to dismiss the importance of the smaller Pals units.

Your comment misses the important point that some Pals battalions, certainly up here in the north of England, were made up were made up of units raised across several communities. The 1st Durham Pals who had contingents from a variety of towns across the county. The town of Chorley provided 250 men for the Accington Pals. The 2nd Bradford pals battalion found it necessary to spread the net to Cleckheaton and Dewsbury because it was unable to fill the ranks of a second battalion. The 9th and 10 battalions of the West Riding Regiment, although, neither designated as a Pals battalion,were made up of significant company strength contributions from separate communities who regarded themselves as Pals units.

I would suspect that for many Pals battalions their make up was not quite as homogeneous in terms origin as is sometimes suggested, even if they nominally affiliated to a particular place  

The problem with the designation 'Pals' is that it was unofficial. So I would surmise that any definitive listing, universally accepted, is unlikely.

49 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Not sure that i would be quite so fast as to dismiss the importance of the smaller Pals units.

Certainly several ex-Chorley Pals I knew considered themselves to be primarily Chorley Pals and secondarily Accrington Pals.

On 26/05/2020 at 21:27, kenf48 said:

Google is your friend

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pals_battalions

mind you I think the Stockbrokers might be upset to be called ‘Pals’

they were locally raised Battalions 

Yep, the 'upper classes' would have been 'chums' ?

Edited by tom bowler