Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOSB

emam

Good afternoon,

I am trying to identify an uniform, which I think is for the KOSB, can anyone confirm this. Also would you say the band around his wrist is for a Corporal. Sorry for the size of the photo, I don't know how to make it smaller.

59.jpg.7abf181bf0656cf97c814e169b5cad5d.jpg

He’s wearing the uniform of a civilian band.  There were many formed in villages and towns that wore the generic badge of a star topped by a crown with the long standing traditional motif or device of a Lyre superimposed on the star.

The badge on its own does have a WW1 connection as it was worn by several so-called Recruiting Bands set up and paid for by the City of London as a part of efforts to ‘beat up’ for recruits at the various drives (campaigns) to encourage (inveigle) men to enlist with the colours in the early stage of the war 1914-15.  It was an initiative very strongly supported and actively encouraged by Rudyard Kipling.

The generic band badge continued in use for a very long time and going by the appearance and style of the uniform in your photo I would date the image to the 1930s.

You can read about these one time prolific bands here: http://www.ibew.org.uk/misc30.htm

Sadly there are a tiny number by comparison today.

77CA0597-EB3B-432C-B75D-35B329157FF1.jpeg

DC6A7C24-7EC2-4D6D-8014-DE05EB64DCB7.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

& he is a Cornet player!

Thanks for posting, a very nice RPPC!

Best...Bryan

Thank you both very much. The photo is in with some family photos (not mine) that I got a copy of and Included a few military ones. I am trying to figure out who they are.  Really I don't know why I thought it was from WW1, it's not old enough. I think it was wishful thinking that I had found the person who I thought it was.  I doubt that I will find who  it is but you have both given me something to work with.

13 minutes ago, emam said:

Thank you both very much. The photo is in with some family photos (not mine) that I got a copy of and Included a few military ones. I am trying to figure out who they are.  Really I don't know why I thought it was from WW1, it's not old enough. I think it was wishful thinking that I had found the person who I thought it was.  I doubt that I will find who  it is but you have both given me something to work with.

Hello

Do you have the military photos to show? And do you think your relative that you thought the bandsman was,  was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers?

Chris 

15 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Hello

Do you have the military photos to show? And do you think your relative that you thought the bandsman was,  was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers?

Chris 

Hi,

It's not quite as easy as that. Basically I am researching the military people from where I live. So I have a big big list of names to look for. Then I got access to a tin full of all sorts of photos which belonged to a family but have no names on them. From the photos in the tin the said family were big military people WW1, WW2, national service and from being born in 1870 to 1927.  It also looks like they were a musical family.  I have 14 names on one side of the family and 15 on the other side on my list, but I don't have them all connected yet. I have a newspaper cutting of one man who was KIA and served in the KOSB and I thought it might have been him. There is an age difference in that photo and the one I posted, but i'm not good at telling peoples ages and also they usually changed that much from taking photos, usually with a thinner face. I am trying to check the regiments against the photos to see if I can take a guess at who some of them are.  I do have a couple of names, but not enough. 

Regards

emam

8 hours ago, emam said:

Hi,

It's not quite as easy as that. Basically I am researching the military people from where I live. So I have a big big list of names to look for. Then I got access to a tin full of all sorts of photos which belonged to a family but have no names on them. From the photos in the tin the said family were big military people WW1, WW2, national service and from being born in 1870 to 1927.  It also looks like they were a musical family.  I have 14 names on one side of the family and 15 on the other side on my list, but I don't have them all connected yet. I have a newspaper cutting of one man who was KIA and served in the KOSB and I thought it might have been him. There is an age difference in that photo and the one I posted, but i'm not good at telling peoples ages and also they usually changed that much from taking photos, usually with a thinner face. I am trying to check the regiments against the photos to see if I can take a guess at who some of them are.  I do have a couple of names, but not enough. 

Regards

emam

No worries

Good luck in your research.

Chris