Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry

HLP

The "rating" is George Alfred Cross, who was born in 1888; he is Henry Davis' step-son, the son of his wife Amy from her first marriage.  Henry is thus 25 years older than Alf.   He was indeed married - in 1911 when he'd have been 23 years old.  Interestingly although the info I found below says his first service date was Sep 1913, the census in 1911 lists his occupation as Shipwright, Royal Navy.   I wondered if he had been encouraged into the Navy by his stepfather Henry.  He wouldn't really have remembered his real father Tom as he died when Alf was only 4.   His mother Amy married Henry in 1895, when Alf was still only 7.

I've downloaded his record.  There is no mention of HMS Excellent.   I have some trouble understanding some of the writing  due to not having the knowledge of typical entries.

Alf Cross: Official Number: M6557 
First Service Date:    15 Sep 1913
First Ship Served On:    Victory II
Last Service Date:    30 Jan 1920
Last Ship Served On:    Victory II
Service Number:    M6557

Cross Alf military.pdf

Also,

What made my father suspect his father (Henry) had seen overseas service was that, after retiring, being widowed, remarrying and having two sons in 1918 and 1919 he moved around, each time buying land and  "building" a ramshackle single storey home for the family.  I recall some mention of post-war money paid to him which I suspect financed the first land purchase.  Each place, although basic in the extreme, included a veranda, something my Dad  believed was something Henry had seen and been impressed by when serving abroad.  The RMLI records for Henry don't seem to suggest any overseas service, though I may be misinterpreting some entries.

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

Another thing that concerns me about the 2nd(older) image of Davis, if it indeed Davis.

He should be wearing his GCB,s (he earned 5) & his LS ribbon, but has nothing on his tunic.

Would there be a reason for this if the RPPC was taken during wartime? Or is insignia & ribbons not worn on this style of tunic?  I admit I am not knowledgable concerning RMA & RMLI uniforms & dress regs.

He should be wearing both medal ribbon and GCBs, the latter in red worsted tape.  If I were a betting man I’d wager that the photo was perhaps taken very soon after Davis was embodied in 1914 and issued a uniform that had not yet been tailored.  A mobilisation photo alongside his step-son.

Thanks HLP, you are correct Alfred was a Shipwright & he had time served in the RAN (Royal Australian Navy)  from 23 Jan 1915 to 29 Oct 1917.  His ships were HMAS Pengu, Psyche, & Cerberus which I think was the RAN Manning\Depot\Base ship in Sydney AU.

he then returned to the RN serving at Victory, Fisgard, Lucia(Sub Depot ship) & finally being demobilized from HMS Victory.

Its very difficult reading the entries to the right of his Record as they are quite faint but they appear to be notations\dates (from\to) when he rec'd RAN rates of pay & RN rates of pay.

Same thing occurred with RN ratings serving in the RCN - "Colonial Navy" rates were considerably higher than the poorly paid RN rates of pay!

Best....Bryan

Edit - HMAS Cerebrus in Victoria, AU in that time frame.

Edited by RNCVR

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

He should be wearing both medal ribbon and GCBs, the latter in red worsted tape.  If I were a betting man I’d wager that the photo was perhaps taken very soon after Davis was embodied in 1914 and issued a uniform that had not yet been tailored.  A mobilisation photo alongside his step-son.

Makes sense Froggie.    Nice that Alfred is ID'd!

Best from a very warm ON, Canada!  33 today & quite humid, normal for us this time of yr!

Bryan

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Makes sense Froggie.    Nice that Alfred is ID'd!

Best from a very warm ON, Canada!  33 today & quite humid, normal for us this time of yr!

Bryan

Yes it’s interesting that it was indeed a son as I’d suspected.

I’m still very perplexed by the medal ribbon, there’s no way that a 7-year old medal should not reveal such substantial and distinctive white edges to the ribbon.

Glad to know that all’s well at your end, very warm here too, but not so humid perhaps.

Best wishes....

It is possible Henry changed out his original LS ribbon for a solid blue ribbon as the original ribbon for the RN LS was blue(no white edging) up until 1847, altho that might be stretching it too far as he would likely have been aware of that, way before his time, but a remote possibility to consider anyway...

Best.... Bryan

49 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

It is possible Henry changed out his original LS ribbon for a solid blue ribbon as the original ribbon for the RN LS was blue(no white edging) up until 1847, altho that might be stretching it too far as he would likely have been aware of that, way before his time, but a remote possibility to consider anyway...

Best.... Bryan

Yes, something’s not quite right, that’s for sure.

Edited by FROGSMILE