Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Robinson MM QAIMNS

Guest Bob Juno

Dear Pals,

I am planning to research the life and career of Sister Charlotte Lillian Annie Robinson MM ARRC QAIMNS. I would be very grateful for any advice regarding where to look for information.

I've found her MM citation in the London Gazette, and I have several contemporary press cuttings. I have recently acquired her wartime diaries which will be an invaluable source of information but the handwriting is quite difficult and it will take me quite some time to transcribe it. I am posting 2 photos and a scan of one of the cuttings.

Any advice on researching nurses would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.

post-38-1108656977.jpg

Bob

Charlotte Lilian Annie Robinson was born on the 15th January 1884. The GRO indexes show just one Charlotte Robinson registered in that quarter, in Liverpool, so it possible that it's her.

Her father was a solicitor, and the family must have moved around a lot, as she was educated at a private school in Tonbridge, Kent, and then at Oxford High School for Girls. She trained as a nurse at St. George's Hospital, Hyde Park Corner, London, from April 1908 to April 1912 - her fourth year there would have been as a staff nurse.

She was appointed as a staff nurse in Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service on the 21st October 1912, and the Army List of July 1914 shows her working in Aldershot - previous Lists would confirm if she had been previously posted elsewhere, but it is extremely unlikely that she went overseas prior to the War.

She has a file at the National Archives in WO399/7128, and that would seem a good place to start the research, although you never know if there much of interest remaining in the records.

And the first photograph that you've posted would seem to be someone other than Charlotte Robinson, as she is wearing the uniform of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps [later Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps].

Now you've got two women to research :)

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you very much for your reply. I see what you mean about the first photo, although there is a facial resemblance (perhaps her sister?).

I think Sister Robinson was still serving (in a senior capacity) by the start of the second world war, I have photos of her with the Queen Mother (dated 1939).

The information you've given is very interesting, do you mind me asking where is comes from?

Thanks again,

Bob Juno

Bob

As the 'regular' QA Sisters are of particular interest to me, I tend to pick up information anywhere I can, so I have more information about some than others. A lot of the basic personal information i.e. date of birth, father's occupation, education etc. comes from WO25/3956 at the National Archives, which gives an abridged version of the details from the application forms on joining the service. The originals of these forms are almost always contained in the service record, and they are more detailed.

The exact date of appointment [and promotion where applicable] comes from the Army Lists, also at the NA. Place of birth taken from the ordinary GRO indexes, which I usually access via 1837 online.com. I'm working my way through some of the service files, but that will take most of the rest of my life!

I normally only check the index of the 1901 census [for financial reasons!] but did notice that the Charlotte Robinson born in Liverpool is quite easy to pick out, and if it's confirmed that she's the right person [through father's occupation] it may give names of sisters etc.

Retirement age for Sisters was a maximum of 55, so Charlotte would just have reached that age in 1939. I have come across several who were kept on for a short while after 55 because they had the experience to manage the service at a difficult time.

Regards

Sue

Sue,

Thanks again - that's brilliant.

The photos with the Queen Mother (see examples attached) were in an envelope addressed to -

"The Matron, Tidworth House, Tidworth" (Postmarked 1939)

Was Tidworth House used as a hospital during WW2 I wonder?

post-38-1108717584.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As already pointed out the top photograph is not CLA Robinson. It is alsmost certainlu A.M. Robinson, her sister, who served as a Unit Administrator in the QMAAC. She is certainly wearing the correct rank badges.

I have CLA as born in Shanghai. She also WW2 service as Matron of the No. 1 General Hospital in the BEF . She retired from the service 15 January 1941 and died 1 February 1968.

Norman

Hi

Charlotte Lilian Annie Robinson's MM citation ( plus a number of other nurses MM's) was published in THE SCOTSMAN newspaper on 31.7.18 page 6. The Scotsman archives can be accessed for a fee.

If you contact me I have it.

Fred

• 15 years later...

Good afternoon,

I am currently undertaking a PhD researching autograph books of Military and VAD nurses of the Great War and one of the books is Lilian Robinsons autograph book. You say in your post that you are researching her life and career and, given the date 2005, I was wondering what you have discovered that might be of interest to my research in particular about Lilian. I would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks 

Rebekah  

11 minutes ago, Bexsloane said:

Good afternoon,

I am currently undertaking a PhD researching autograph books of Military and VAD nurses of the Great War and one of the books is Lilian Robinsons autograph book. You say in your post that you are researching her life and career and, given the date 2005, I was wondering what you have discovered that might be of interest to my research in particular about Lilian. I would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks 

Rebekah  

Hi,

Your enquiry doesn’t appear to be addressed to any one in particular of the 4 previous posters on this almost 16 year old topic so it might be helpful if I let you know that Bob Juno has left the forum and that sadly Sue Light passed away several years ago.

It may be better for you if you use the forum messaging service to communicate with the member you wish to contact.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Hi Steve,

It was intended for Bob Juno who you say has left the forum, I did know about Sue Light who sadly would have been a wonderful person to discuss my topic with.  I realised it was a long shot being nearly 16 years ago but in this world don't ask don't get! so it was worth a try.  But thankyou for responding, at least I won't be looking for a response about Lilian!

many thanks  

HI thanks, I do have this and yes interesting reading, I've sight of some of her diaries too and linking the diaries with some of the entries in her autograph book provides a unique insight. It was kind of you to give me this link though, National Archives are a great source. many thanks Rebekah