Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gold dust - 168 Brigade RFA Complete Nominal Roll

sheldrake

The 168 Field Brigade WD for November 1916 - Dec 1916 & Jan 1917 WO 95/2381/1  have complete nominal roll - officers & OR together with casualties. I downloaded these from  TNA . Not sure of copyright situation re uploading  

Edited by sheldrake

Unusual for RFA war diaries but I have found nominal rolls in war diaries for a few other RFA Brigades. I have been uploading RFA/RGA officer names into a database for the last ten years from war diaries (at 88,000+ names currently) and it is amazing how the diaries differ in terms of names and details - some have only a few officers' names and others have extensive names of both officers and other ranks.  

I also found some RH & RFA nominal rolls. In addition to 168th Brigade RFA you can find rolls for:

14th Divisional Ammunition Column and Park, December 1915

46th Brigade RFA, December 1915

47th Brigade RFA, December 1915

48th Brigade RFA, December 1915

49th Brigade RFA, December 1915

87th Brigade RFA, June 1916

19th Divisional Artillery HQ (plus Divisional Awards), May 1916 - December 1917

Warwickshire Battery RHA, c. October 1914

I'd like to know if there are anymore out there.

Edited by David Porter

I have just raised this with the RA Archivist and sent a copy to her.  The RA Archives receive calls all the time from people researching family history. It would make sense to have a central repository of the names we have.  The rolls in the WD we have listed must include include around 6-7,000 names, Around 1%  of Gunners on the Western Front, maybe just a drop in the ocean, but a start. 

If you are willing to share the rolls, send a PM and will will send the archivists email address.      

8 hours ago, rflory said:

Unusual for RFA war diaries but I have found nominal rolls in war diaries for a few other RFA Brigades. I have been uploading RFA/RGA officer names into a database for the last ten years from war diaries (at 88,000+ names currently) and it is amazing how the diaries differ in terms of names and details - some have only a few officers' names and others have extensive names of both officers and other ranks.  

Have you shared this with the RA Archivist? There may be a quid pro quo

• Admin
13 hours ago, sheldrake said:

Not sure of copyright situation re uploading

Copyright means you cannot upload them but adding links to the diaries on the TNA site would be most welcome.

EDIT: Or even just the TNA reference

Years ago I copied the 1916 Rolls of another RFA Bde- cannot remember exactly but 75th or something similar and thus not in those already noted above. I will look it up this evening.

edit-- on reflection I think it is probably David's 87 Bde RFA noted above ! Memory not good.

charlie

Also there was a Roll of 375 Brigade RGA- See this old thread.  Dropbox link still works. I might have transcribed it- again I will check.

In theory none of these have been transcribed (yet ??) by FMP nor FWR. Worth a prompt to FMP ?

Edited by charlie962