Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ambulance Train Blendecques or Arques 25 May 1918

Martin Lepley

An impossible challenge for you guys.

My guy entered the 4th Stationary Hospital at Arques on 25th May 1918. I believe the train station for this was Blendecques although maybe Arques. Anyone know what Ambulance train would have transported him there? I assume came from Le Reveillon.

Thanks

Not sure I know what Le Reveillon is or where it was.

Should be easier to work out which AT took him there by working out which CCS group he had been at and hope one of the CCSs noted down AT departures.

Then of course all the potential AT diaries need checking to see which one went to Arques/Blendecques, hopefully only one of them!

Normally if it's a hospital at a base then the base diary usually lists all AT movements.

TEW 

3 hours ago, Martin Lepley said:

I believe the train station for this was Blendecques although maybe Arques

This is not my area of expertise, so I hope I am not treading on TEW's toes. McMaster University has railway and medical evacuation maps and here is an extract showing 1918 evacuation by rail.

image.png.42b784dfbca77278e011349b1d597c81.png

What a great map, thankyou for the lead. I will check that.

When he was evacuated out of the 4th Stationary Hospital on the 4th June it did say BLENDECQUES.

I was looking for his arrival there and thought it might be the same station.

Le Reveillon is where the Main Dressing Station was which was next to the railway line. The Brigade diary ( I do not think) mentions the Clearing station so I thought might be at the MDS. Not certain at all of course.

Thanks for your help

At38png.png

I've looked in Lines of communication. St. Omer Area: Assistant Director Medical Services. Which includes 4 SH.

They are more concerned at this period with the hostile aircraft raids taking place. on 23rd 10 SH had been bombed killing 19.

I'm afraid no mention of ATs arriving.

TEW

I might have to download all the Ambulance Train War Diaries and just look. There are a few of them though.

Yes, a few! Probably the month's quota.

You mention an MDS near the railway and possibly CCSs.

If these are near 4 SH then perhaps he was moved to 4 SH by other means. St. Omer base mentions visiting a few CCSs in it's area.

TEW