Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorials in Rochdale and Oldham

Radcliffe

Hi

New poster here.  I've attached recent photos of memorials near to me.  Hope this is useful to somebody.

In order - Rochdale town; Rochdale Cemetery; Norden; Oldham.

I've included a photo of one of the figures on the Oldham memorial.

Thanks

20200524_184701.jpg

DSCN0126.JPG

20200522_132740.jpg

20200517_131358.jpg

20200517_132400.jpg

Pleasure!.

The Oldham memorial was cast in 1924 by a company from Thames Ditton.  The detailing has stood the test of time.

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

Very impressive memorials. I hope they are well visited, at least in normal times. 

They are certainly well-maintained and treated with respect.  As they should be.

33 minutes ago, Radcliffe said:

They are certainly well-maintained and treated with respect.  As they should be.

Which is surprising as the Oldham memorial is - or was if the pub is now closed - directly in front of the entrance to the Greaves Arms. Sadly nothing seems to have been done with the old Town Hall (building on the right of the photo) it was a beautiful building inside and has stood empty for well over thirty years.

Thanks for sharing

Charlie

12 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Which is surprising as the Oldham memorial is - or was if the pub is now closed - directly in front of the entrance to the Greaves Arms. Sadly nothing seems to have been done with the old Town Hall (building on the right of the photo) it was a beautiful building inside and has stood empty for well over thirty years.

Thanks for sharing

Charlie

The old town hall has been subdivided into a small cinema and two restaurants.  I'm happy to report that the conversion was done sympathetically.  The square in front of the monument is also clean and tidy.  Wreaths and memorials are always left in place.

2 hours ago, Radcliffe said:

The old town hall has been subdivided into a small cinema and two restaurants.  I'm happy to report that the conversion was done sympathetically.  The square in front of the monument is also clean and tidy.  Wreaths and memorials are always left in place.

Thank you Radcliffe, its quite a while since I was in Oldham :)

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

• 2 weeks later...

The soldier who stands on top of the Oldham war memorial , also looks down the main road at Flers on the Somme ( 41st Division memorial ) and is in London (Royal Fusiliers memorial . City of London regiment )

Cheers . Dom

1 hour ago, Harveyfletch said:

The soldier who stands on top of the Oldham war memorial , also looks down the main road at Flers on the Somme ( 41st Division memorial ) and is in London (Royal Fusiliers memorial . City of London regiment )

Cheers . Dom

I didn't know this.  It's an excellent casting so it doesn't surprise me.  Thanks for letting me know.