Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burrason Pte D

Jo Savage

I'm wondering if anyone can please help me find out for information regarding Pte D Burrason 15101 7th Bn South Staff Regt.  He was KIA on 23 Aug 1915 in Greece.  I beleive he is a cousin of mine and his first name is David.

BURRASON has been difficult to search for as there are so many varieties of how the surname has been spelt on different documents - BURROWSON, BURRISTON to name a few.

My ancestral cousin was born in Staffordshire in 1894.  His father was George and his mother Elizabeth.  Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Jo

Hi Jo

1901 census name is BURRISON. With parents and sister Elizabeth aged, 3 yrs.

Soldiers' effects show sole legatee as Sister Elizabeth. David was born Essington, Staffs. Birth reg'd, 4th qtr 1894 Cannock, Staffs, 6b, 511....searching.

UK Soldiers Died Great War shows enlisted Wolverhampton

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

2 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Jo

1901 census name is BURRISON. With parents and sister Elizabeth aged, 3 yrs.

Soldiers' effects show sole legatee as Sister Elizabeth. David was born Essington, Staffs. Birth reg'd, 4th qtr 1894 Cannock, Staffs, 6b, 511....searching.

UK Soldiers Died Great War shows enlisted Wolverhampton

Regards Barry

Thank you Barry, much appreciated.  This does indeed confirm he is my cousin.  Thank you!

Jo,

Soldiers Effects shows that David died of his wounds aboard the Hospital Ship 'Salta'.  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60506/42511_6117463_0024-00052?pid=168625&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D60506%26h%3D168625%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DbmY40311%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY40311&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.222031512.1467168628.1589176596-119227612.1483026526

You can download a commemorative certificate at the CWGC website https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/626007/burrason,-/

You should be able to get a photogrph of his gravestone {free} from Britishwargraves. Put in details of his name, number, cemetery and location of gravestone in the request form. http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/page9.htm

Regards,

Alf McM

From The Staffordshire Advertiser, September 25th, 1915.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200525-182201.jpg

David Burrason was a Locomotive  engine and carriage cleaner for the GWR works at Oxley. He came from Essington, Staffs.

He is commemorated on the GWR memorial at Taunton Railway

Station.

Screenshot_20200525-185822.jpg

Screenshot_20200525-191150.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

5 hours ago, Jo Savage said:

Thank you Barry, much appreciated.  This does indeed confirm he is my cousin.  Thank you!

In the 1911 census, he is living in Essington with his uncle and aunt...Eli and Eliza Evans.

Andy.

OMG!  I truly have no words.  Andy, your information and post brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.  I'm in awe, a photo too!  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a photo. You have no idea how much this mean.  I can't thank you enough.

Alf, thank you to you too for the links and information.  I'm going to check if I can find a grave photo as soon as I've posted here.

THANK YOU.