Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Edward Gardener Cyclist Corps - need help interpreting document

boeta86

Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the meaning of '14thDCC' on the Service Medal and Awards Roll index, next to 2728 Pte. Edward Gardener. Does it mean he was with 14th Division? I attach the document here:

41629_625537_9766-00118 - Service Medals and Award Roll.jpg

Also, for the same chap (I'm 99% sure) I discovered this attestation document, which says Somerset Light Infantry. I see there are two numbers on the top left, one of which (2728) matches his number in the Cyclist Corps. Is it possible he was given this number upon enlistment with the SLI but was transferred pretty quickly to the Cyclist Corps and managed to keep his number?

miuk1914a_084460-00914.jpg

• Admin

It means 14th Divisional Cyclist Corps

Please acknowledge the source/s of the images in your posts in line with Forum rules

Thank you both. Very helpful indeed.

Apologies for lack of citation. Will remember to do so in future. Here they are:

1. The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; War Office and Air Ministry: Service Medal and Award Rolls, First World War. WO329; Ref: 173

2. WO364; Piece: 1307

Best wishes.

Hi boeta86,

I think that you have found some papers for the right man. His original Somerset Light Infantry number has been struck through, and replaced by his new number. Further on in the record you can see...

image.png.d56901e52dd4bfd3894d35e6bc9361ac.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Fold3 have an index card that shows he received a pension based to disabilities which were accepted as being attributable to his war service.

image.png.a7a6063bd7139416c76aeafd6ba7c0fe.png

Image sourced from Fold3

His overseas service (19.5.1915 - 11.6.1915) is covered by this war diary at the National Archives - link

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

16 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi boeta86,

I think that you have found some papers for the right man. His original Somerset Light Infantry number has been struck through, and replaced by his new number. Further on in the record you can see...

image.png.d56901e52dd4bfd3894d35e6bc9361ac.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

His overseas service (19.5.1915 - 11.6.1915) is covered by this war diary at the National Archives - link

Regards

Chris

Thank you ever so much. I must have missed that second page of his attestation form! This is very helpful.

Best wishes

Hi,

If you can access Findmypast, the image quality is much better than from Ancestry. The link is here. I've also edited my original record to add a snip from a pension index card.

Regards

Chris

19 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

If you can access Findmypast, the image quality is much better than from Ancestry. The link is here. I've also edited my original record to add a snip from a pension index card.

Regards

Chris

Great, thanks!