Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting a Commission

saw119

Sorry for the ridiculous question, never had call to research a commissioned officer before, but how did one receive a commission into the army? The man I'm looking at was previously in the RND in 1914 but is discharged in 1915 upon receiving a commission to 2nd Lieutenant. I just have no idea how that happens! 

There is no such thing as a ridiculous question ……...

………. the rules then, are as are now, if an enlisted soldier considered suitable  i.e. recommended … but without question, prior to this, proven competent/capable/qualified for a commission (and dare I offer unlike many contemporary and immediate recipients of a commission at this time) ….. he was formally discharged and then immediately re-engaged for commissioned service ……..a mere paper transaction.  

If you would kindly consider sharing some details I confidently predict an avalanche of well informed research will follow.

Without any further detail I would guess as the RND were employed as Infantry at this time your 'research subject' was considered competent/capable/qualified for a commission and sent where the need was ........ the Army (Infantry?)

Regards

Ian

Edited by TullochArd

Thank you. I might consider posting his name and what I already know. He was in the Public Schools Bn of the RND before being moved to the 1st 8th Royal Warwickshire reg.

If your man was in a Public Schools battalion then it would be fairly straightforward, because when applying for a commission the soldier was usually asked for his preferences as to which unit he wished to serve once commissioned. So if he was commissioned in 1915 then the chances are that he would be posted to his requested unit, had he been commissioned later in the war then newly commissioned officers were often attached to units in need of subalterns rather than the mans requested preference.

The RNVR Public Schools Battalion at Crystal Palace was somewhat set apart from the other RND training battalions at the Depot, given the family and schooling background of the inmates. Those commissioned (and not all were) tended to go the RNVR commissions in the RND but Army commissions were not unusual. 'Influence' almost certainly played a part in some cases. I assume the man you are researching is Ernest Shuttleworth.

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The RNVR Public Schools Battalion at Crystal Palace was somewhat set apart from the other RND training battalions at the Depot, given the family and schooling background of the inmates. Those commissioned (and not all were) tended to go the RNVR commissions in the RND but Army commissions were not unusual. 'Influence' almost certainly played a part in some cases. I assume the man you are researching is Ernest Shuttleworth.

Yes, that's correct. Had a walk in my local cemetery saw his memorial and thought I might as well have a look at him what with these times being what they are. Just for fun, he's no relation. With the NA offering free DL's it was relatively simple to build up a thumbnail of him. I just never had call to research a commissioned officer before. I'm know looking at the 4th Divisions attack on the Quadrilateral on July 1st, his place of death. I'm a keyworker, her at work from the beginning and it's been a while since I have done any research, just needed a distraction. 

• 11 months later...

If you are still interested, I am Errnest's relative...  Obviously not a descendent - he was killed at 22.
He was the the eldest of three brothers, with the elder two being of an age to join up. If I remember the family story correctly both brothers were in the RND, but during departure for Gallipoli (where the RND were heavily involved) Ernest fell down a companion ladder on the ship and broke his leg. After recuperation he was persuaded to take a commission and joined the Royal Warwicks in France. Your information on that better there than mine...
As no body was found, Thomas, his father refused to accept Ernest's death, spent years searching the field hospitals, hoping to find him with memory loss. This certainly led to his own early death, in 1922,, hence the double dedication you have seen on his gravestone.
Meanwhile his younger brother, Kenneth, returned from Gallipoli intact, albeit with polio, and found he had to learn to run the family Accountancy Practice double quick to keep the family with some income.  Ken was my grandfather.
The third brother, Harold, found the post war gloom too much and emigrated to the colonies, never returning to the UK to live. 

Thank you for your interest, Harry Shuttleworth