Are these both tank rounds ?

arantxa

Thanks

BDFC4FE9-A7F2-444B-A7D3-E3D4B61ABEE6.jpeg

ED4BF7F7-316A-418F-9125-25C21C3A16A1.jpeg

F65A235F-3099-461B-B773-525B97CD0E13.jpeg

3B12178C-456F-453A-9AC7-AD61BB86404A.jpeg

BB7D2D22-BFEB-457C-91B8-2DBC58CD8782.jpeg

What have you determined via your own Google search?

Simon

Both of the projectiles look post-Great War to me. What are their dimensions?

The lower AP shot resembles a 6PR 7CWT or a 2PR No.2. The former is 57mm and the latter is 40mm. Both were fired by WWII British AFV’s. I don’t immediately recognise the upper HE shell.

Edited by peregrinvs

Hi 

sorry don’t understand the tech jargon what’s a 7 cwt what’s an Afw 

thanks 

What do I measure the radius at the bottom ?

try google

Mancpal

i would have thought that rather defeats the object of the forum where one engages in conversation with people who are knowledgeable on subjects one isn’t 

Unfortunately far too many people rely on looking to the internet rather than chatting to people who have spent a long tine in the field of there chosen subject and the off shoots it leads too 

Man pal 

in reply to your first post I didn’t look on google I much prefer speaking to the organ grinder !!

Both have identical radius 

2 inches 

image.jpg

I don't know of any 2 inch (50.8mm) projectiles that look like that. What is the exact diameter in millimetres?

If you copy Peregrinus' suggestion (the bit in caps) into the search string box in Google, the most obvious candidate will appear immediately.

You''ve given no information about context - eg. where found - and dimensions don't match anything in common use in either war.

Thanks  i was presuming the fact that it fitted into the shell case as in picture it was from the shell case.....I dont know what a search string box is to be honest...as too location found while tidying up my Garage in a box ....but dont worry I will ask some one who can explain it to me because  I am a great believer in asking people to explain things I dont understand,and on the whole I have found people like to explain things and to be asked.When I have done Documentary's for the BBC on subjects that I know about I have always felt very privileged to be asked and enjoyed explaining 

Sorry I meant 2 inch diameter

E1E67170-9E49-4545-A84D-1B57FC13DE20.jpeg

2F5EF33F-36F5-4F79-BEF7-3188AA89D22D.jpeg

17 hours ago, arantxa said:

Hi 

thanks 

What do I measure the radius at the bottom ?

AFV (not Afw) Armoured Fighting Vehicle.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Thank you MikeyH I see now I didn't realise what that stood for 

Thanks

OK. Assuming your cartridge case is a 6 Pounder Hotchkiss, that would make the projectiles 57mm. Therefore I am fairly certain the AP shot is either a WWII British 6 Pounder 7CWT or  US 57mm M70 projectile. Without any markings on the body or drive bands, it is difficult to tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_6-pounder

The cartridge case for it is longer than the Hotchkiss and is marked 6PR 7CWT (British) or 57MM M23A2 (US).

I still don't recognise the HE shell. I don't think it is British. Non-WWI ordnance questions are best addressed here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/

Thank you....and thank you for the links very kind of you to take the time to explain and do the link enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday

• 3 months later...
On 24/05/2020 at 22:17, arantxa said:

"7 cwt" is a way of distinguishing different guns of the same calibre or "poundage" and refers literally to the weight of the ordnance (ie barrel, breech assembly and muzzle brake, if fitted), in imperial hundredweight. For example, in the early part of the War British artillery and/or naval gunnery included 12-Pdr (6 cwt), 12-Pdr (8 cwt), 12-Pdr (12 cwt) and 12-Pdr (18 cwt) equipments, whose ammunition was not necessarily compatible with each other.